Multisite Domain Mapping

Hello,
I'm setting up domain mapping. I have a couple questions.

1. My registrar is different than my host. My registrar, Netfirms doesn't appear to offer DNS Zone editing for non-hosting accounts (I just use Netfirms for domain registration only). My host (Siteground) offers Advanced DNS Zone editing.

So...do I just point my domain from Netfirms to my nameservers at Siteground and add the domain name as an "add on" domain in Siteground?

2. Does my multi-site install have to be in the document root to work for domain mapping? In other words does website.com have to be pointed at: "/public_html/" or can it be in a directory called "/public_html/website.com"?

Thank you,
Terry.

• Nithin

Hi Terry,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

So...do I just point my domain from Netfirms to my nameservers at Siteground and add the domain name as an "add on" domain in Siteground?

If you point your name servers to your host then it can be managed by your host or your cPanel.
    Yes, if you point your name server to your Siteground, and the you can managed it via your cPanel. Since you domain is not bought with the same hosting provider, then you'll have to add the domain as a parked domain, add-on domain is used when you use the domain from the hosting provider.

2. Does my multi-site install have to be in the document root to work for domain mapping? In other words does website.com have to be pointed at: "/public_html/" or can it be in a directory called "/public_html/website.com"?

Where your multisite resides will be the root directory of your install. So when you try to map the domain, it should be pointed to where your multsites directory resides. So, if you are installing your website in this path "/public_html/website.com" this would be your root directory.

I hope this clears your query, please do let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Terry

Hello Nithin,

Thank you for your response.

I've attempted to get domain mapping on multi-site working multiple times with no luck. I'm determined to make it work this time. So the "root" query is clear.

I have a question regarding this:
    "Since your domain is not bought with the same hosting provider, then you'll have to add the domain as a parked domain, add-on domain is used when you use the domain from the hosting provider."

I've already pointed my nameservers for the add-on domain to Siteground. I've also added my Siteground dedicated IP address to the A Record of my add-on domain at the registrar - Netfirms. I was under the impression that I didn't need to "park" or "add on" the domain in my hosting account if the A Record had the proper IP address added at the Registrar level. Please clarify, I will gladly park the domain at my hosting provider if needed for domain mapping :slight_smile:

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Terry,

Does your dedicated IP points to main site of your Network? if you type dedicated IP into browser will main site of your Multisite open? If yes, then you can use only A record pointing to that dedicated IP and there is no need for changing any more DNS records or nameservers.

if answer is not, then you need to add domain as add-on domain in your hosting provider panel. To do that in your domain panel you have to change namesevers for those from SiteGround (no changing A records). Then in SiteGround add new add-on domain (that actually works in SiteGround, I have similar configuration) and point it to your main site root directory.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.