Multisite, Domain Mapping & Pro Sites

1) My multisite is set up with subdomains rather than subfolders (set up as sub.domain.com) - I purchased a domain via the domain mapping section and it set up the domain with CNAME entries. This caused the domain not to resolve, because subdomains require A records. -Is there a way I can change this to correctly set up the domain during registration? Again, this is for registrations via the domain mapping plugin. If we get many clients we won't be able to manually change every domain after registration.

2) Also, is there a way to have the client's details registered as the domain registrant details? It defaults to my contact info and I don't think clients will like that.

3) Pro Sites with trial accounts activated: After payment is complete the client gets shown this message: "You currently have a trial site. Your features will expire in the future. Please upgrade your site to continue to enjoy..." - How can I edit this message to clarify? Some clients might be worried we may be "stealing their money" with such a message after they paid.
I would actually like to edit all messages on the blog registration page if possible.

4) Can the Pro Sites plugin be set to have annual subscription selected as default in stead of monthly?

5) What is the generic url to log in to a person's blog on a multisite? Also, for changing one's password?

6) How can I remove announcements from all subscribers' dashboards? Like the announcements for updates that are available and marketing from plugin providers?
No one but super admins can act on any of those messages, so it makes no sense to irritate the view of my subscribers.

7) On my parent site: domain.com/account is a page with 2 shortcodes that isn't converted. It shows [ms-membership-account] and [ms-membership-logout] Is there maybe something wrong with the code?

8) At some point I mistakenly applied a "membership" to my master/parent site as though it is a subscriber. Although it is on the highest plan, does this cause my master site to be inhibited in any way? Is there a way to fix this if it is indeed a mistake?

9) WHMCS plugin: Do you guys offer a reseller license for WHMCS at all? Or do we just have to purchase a license from them?

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey aTz,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

1) My multisite is set up with subdomains rather than subfolders (set up as sub.domain.com) - I purchased a domain via the domain mapping section and it set up the domain with CNAME entries. This caused the domain not to resolve, because subdomains require A records. -Is there a way I can change this to correctly set up the domain during registration? Again, this is for registrations via the domain mapping plugin. If we get many clients we won't be able to manually change every domain after registration.

Could you please provide me some more info about your setup since CNAME should usually be enough, which reseller option are you using?

2) Also, is there a way to have the client's details registered as the domain registrant details? It defaults to my contact info and I don't think clients will like that.

Unfortunately this is not possible and in order to change this behaviour it would require lot of custom changes to plugin.
    If you need to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

3) Pro Sites with trial accounts activated: After payment is complete the client gets shown this message: "You currently have a trial site. Your features will expire in the future. Please upgrade your site to continue to enjoy..." - How can I edit this message to clarify? Some clients might be worried we may be "stealing their money" with such a message after they paid.
    I would actually like to edit all messages on the blog registration page if possible.

These message are included in translation files so you can change them that way or use our Ultimate Branding plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/

4) Can the Pro Sites plugin be set to have annual subscription selected as default in stead of monthly?

This is not currently possible but it is something we have on our to-do list and are looking to add in future updates.

5) What is the generic url to log in to a person's blog on a multisite? Also, for changing one's password?

Each subsite admin section is accessed by simply adding wp-admin after the URL, for example subsite.example.com/wp-admin/
    As for the password change, since all subsite users are stored on network password is being changed from main site, and it would be something like this:
    maindomain.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword

6) How can I remove announcements from all subscribers' dashboards? Like the announcements for updates that are available and marketing from plugin providers?
    No one but super admins can act on any of those messages, so it makes no sense to irritate the view of my subscribers.

If you're referring to notifications about our own plugins those should be visible only to admin account that activated the Dashboard plugin and should not bother your other users.

7) On my parent site: domain.com/account is a page with 2 shortcodes that isn't converted. It shows [ms-membership-account] and [ms-membership-logout] Is there maybe something wrong with the code?

Shortcodes look fine and it should be working out of the box if the plugin is active on that site.
    Can you try running bassic troubleshooting by disabling other plugins and switching to default WP theme to see if it renders properly after that.

8) At some point I mistakenly applied a "membership" to my master/parent site as though it is a subscriber. Although it is on the highest plan, does this cause my master site to be inhibited in any way? Is there a way to fix this if it is indeed a mistake?

Not sure what are you referring to here, you applied membership created in membership 2 to one of your subscribers on main site?
    Could you please elaborate this a bit more?

9) WHMCS plugin: Do you guys offer a reseller license for WHMCS at all? Or do we just have to purchase a license from them?

We don't offer reseller licence, this should be purchased directly from them.

Please note that you should have separate threads for questions that are not closely related, this will help us keep better track of everything and make sure we don't miss any for you.
    We can keep the first question in this thread but if you have any followup questions about the other questions please open separate threads for them and include my answer from this thread.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• aTz

Hi Predrag,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Apologies, I did not realise I should create separate tickets for each question. Will do it the next time.
    Meanwhile I am elaborating here on the questions as you requested.

Q1) I am using ENOM reseller.
    It was registered with the following details:
    CNAME: "www.domain.com" ==> "domain.mydomain.com"
    CNAME: "domain.com" ==> "domain.mydomain.com"
    It did not resolve, so I changed the setup to the following:
    CNAME: "www.domain.com" ==> "domain.com"
    A RECORD: @ ==> my domain IP address

As soon as I did this, the domain started resolving.
    So in my opinion it should be possible to change these default settings for registration via domain mapping plugin. Or am I missing something?

Q6) An example of this is when a admin user from a subsite is logged in to their admin and a plugin needs to be updated, it asks the admin to run the updater. Currently Woocommerce's update request shows in the admin areas of all subsite admins (not logged in with the super admin account, but using the subsite's admin username and password). A subsite admin cannot run updates, so it doesn't make sense to see those messages. Can it be turned off with one of your plugins?

Q8) What I'm referring to here is: When installing Membership 2, the main site does not have any "membership level" assigned to it.
    I manually added a membership level to the main site itself by mistake and I don't think I should have done that.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello aTz!

Q1) (...) As soon as I did this, the domain started resolving.
    So in my opinion it should be possible to change these default settings for registration via domain mapping plugin. Or am I missing something?

Th CNAME should point to the main domain of the network so with domain not mapped both the main domain (not a sub-domain where the sub-site is but the main domain of entire setup) and the "domain to be mapped" should load the main site of the network. Then, once the domain is mapped with Domain Mapping plugin the plugin should take care of the rest. There should be no need to change domain configuration if the domain is registered with eNom via the in-build domain registration of Domain Mapping.

That said, was that domain registered separately or was it purchased directly from the sub-site dashboard on your network and it got set up that way by default? Please advise.

Q6) An example of this is when a admin user from a subsite is logged in to their admin and a plugin needs to be updated, it asks the admin to run the updater. Currently Woocommerce's update request shows in the admin areas of all subsite admins (not logged in with the super admin account, but using the subsite's admin username and password). A subsite admin cannot run updates, so it doesn't make sense to see those messages. Can it be turned off with one of your plugins?

It seems that you're referring to 3rd-party plugin here and updates of these plugins are not handled/supported by our WPMU DEV Dashboard. My colleague Predrag was referring to upgrade/update notices coming from our plugins.

As for other plugins, I admit this ma not be an easy task as those plugins may use their own built-in tools for handling those notifications and disabling them all may require quite an amount of custom coding. You'd first needed to identify actions/hooks that are responsible for these notifications (for all plugins that do this) and then overwrite them with your own functions. Alternatively, you could hide all those notices with a custom CSS (our Ultimate Branding plugin lets you add custom CSS to admin dashboard) but again - this means tracking down notices for all plugins separately and then hiding them most likely with separate CSS rules for each of them.

Q8) What I'm referring to here is: When installing Membership 2, the main site does not have any "membership level" assigned to it.
    I manually added a membership level to the main site itself by mistake and I don't think I should have done that.

After you install Membership 2 Pro it shouldn't add any memberships automatically, until you create them. The default setup is "per site" so memberships and protection rules following them are created separately for each site of the network. You may or may not use Membership protection on you main site, that's entirely up to you. You may e.g. remove all memberships for main site by going to main site dashboard (not to be confused with Network Admin!) to the "Membership 2 -> Memberships" page. Each of the memberships can be removed from there.

Furthermore, creating membership doesn't affect any access to the site unless you setup Protection Rules. Until you do this, those memberships just "hang out there" with no special effect on any content.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.