Multisite, Domain Mapping, SSL, Same IP, Different Domains

We are using Domain Mapping on a Multisite install, there are various domain mapped to the install running individual sites. We want o be able to offer SSL for each individual site. How is this possible?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey @TK,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

It is possible with Multi-domain SSL Certificate. Every SSL cert needs its own IP address so it's not possible to install multiple "single" certs on single IP server. With Multi-domain SSL you may define multiple separate domains that will be protected with this SSL. The drawback here is that you need to define this domains during the purchase.

If this is okay, you may find a lot of multi domain SSL certificate providers with Google:
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=multidomain+SSL

However, if you'd like to offer separate certs for each sub-site, you'd need to get multiple IP's assigned to this single server and then issue cert for each new domain.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• TK

Thanksfor much for a another quick reply.

Ok so this is what I understand.

We can run multiple domain certs on the same server with one IP, But to run individual SSL serts per domain we need to point multiple IP's to this domain, so how does the multisite work with multiple IP's?

Do we than have each site installed in its own /var/www/DOMAIN folder but that just defies the reason to have the Multisite installed in the first place.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey TK!

We can run multiple domain certs on the same server with one IP, But to run individual SSL serts per domain we need to point multiple IP's to this domain, so how does the multisite work with multiple IP's?

If you know the domain names to be used, the easiest solution is to purchase the "Multi-domain SSL Certificate". This is so far the best and most reliable solution. It requires one Multisite WordPress install and a single dedicated IP.

Otherwise you'd need multiple certificates and in this case there has to be a dedicated IP for each certificate.

Do we than have each site installed in its own /var/www/DOMAIN folder but that just defies the reason to have the Multisite installed in the first place.

Usually you may define the root folder for the dedicated IP via your server's admin panel. You may then point all those IP's to a single folder which would be the WordPress Multisite main install folder. I'm pretty sure that WordPress will work fine with such configuration.

However, the questions are:

a) will it not break the Domain Mapping features?
    b) will WP/Domain Mapping pick up SSL certs properly?

Of this I'm not so sure, so let me please ask my 2nd-line support mates for help here.

That being said, please keep an eye on this thread for further information!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.