Multisite - duplicating installs using purchased theme

I want to set up a multisite network where users can sign up for a free or paid user, which would create a separate wordpress install at "mydomain.com/site1,site2..". Is there a plugin which helps monitor and set up batch sites? Is WPMU able to handle this? Also, if I purchase a template, can I publish this template across multiple user sign up blogs, or is that a template I must create from scratcH? (does the default TwentyEleven template even allow this?)

• aecnu

Greetings onelove,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for these great questions, they are certainly appreciated.

I want to set up a multisite network where users can sign up for a free or paid user, which would create a separate wordpress install at "mydomain.com/site1,site2..".

This "mydomain.com/site1,site2.." implies that you have indeed setup a sub directory multi site but "which would create a separate wordpress install" is the wrong concept since the fact is that MultiDites are all about creating multiple sites/blogs from a single WordPress install. It is said that the devil is in the details.

Is there a plugin which helps monitor and set up batch sites?

I do not quite know what you mean by batch sites but the Pro Sites plugin is the one most commonly used to facilitate site/blog creation of the MultiSite and limit plugin and theme access as well.

Is WPMU able to handle this?

I host people who have 80,000 blogs/sites on there single network.

Also, if I purchase a template, can I publish this template across multiple user sign up blogs, or is that a template I must create from scratcH? (does the default TwentyEleven template even allow this?)

You can use a theme on as many sites as you or your clients own. Depending on which themes you have uploaded to your site and which selections you have chosen in Pro Sites will directly affect which themes/plugins are available to your blog/site down line.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.