Multisite help

I am new to WP... I have experience with Joomla.... anyway I had a problem with my memory and could not figure out how to fix it so since there was not much done on my site I uninstalled it through cpanel and reinstalled. There is something wrong because now when I add define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true); to my wp-config file nothing changes in the tools menu... please help me fix this!

• drmike

Hi, welcome to WP/WPMu and WPMUDev :slight_smile:

Not sure how Joomba works their support forums but most support forums ask if not require a link as well as a copy of any and all errors when asking for help. Those who don't include them get to feed Sue her weekly allowance of chocolate. :wink:

I had a problem with my memory

Need to know the specific problem and/or error you're having please. I have a feeling though that you're seeing an error like: "Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 74448896)" If so, chances are your php memory is configured to only use 8 megs of memory. It needs to be higher than that.

The old wpmu instructions used to cover that. The new version of the software do not I'm afraid. Bump it up to something like 64M in php.ini.

There is something wrong because now when I add define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true); to my wp-config file nothing changes in the tools menu

I have a feeling that the edit isn;t taking hold. The wp-config.php file when made my cpanel is usually owned by the webserver and there fore uneditable by the user. You have to have someone with root ability (ie your host) change the ownership of the file so you can edit it.

Double check though by pulling up the file for editing to see if the line is in there.

How are you editing the file? Are you using CPanel's editor?

To be honest, I woulding install it via CPanel. Both CPanel's and F(whatever it is)'s versions add in their own code and require you to make any changes via that software. For example, if you install it via CPanel and later upgrade via the built in wp upgrader, you will break your install.

One of the reasons why we don;t have CPanel on our boxes and install everything for our clients.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• Mason

Hiya Sharena

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! Glad to see ya round here!

There is something wrong because now when I add define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true); to my wp-config file nothing changes in the tools menu...

I've never done an uninstall through cPanel. Was this through an app on cPanel like fantastico? Did you delete the database as well or simply remove the files from the server?

If it was the latter, we probably need to delete the databases and start fresh that way as well.

Or, is there a Super Admin menu? Once multi-site install is completed the Network menu goes away under tools.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further issues. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.