Multisite Home Links to child sites

Hi, I'm setting up a multisite blog / "newspaper." It has about a half dozen sections like Front Page, Business, Sports, Arts, etc. Each "newspaper section" is a "blog site." I'm using WooThemes Editorial for all of them, so they'll look consistent, but have unique mastheads and content.

Each section's home page links point to the various posts, of course... BUT... for the "Front Page" I'd like to have no original content in that section (blog) but have it be a sample of content from the other sections (subdirectory blogs) and when you click on a post have it go not to the Front Page blog but to the appropriate subdirectory.

Is there a plugin to help with this? Or does it need to be coded / hacked?

Any help / suggestions / info appreciated!

TY!

• aecnu

Greetings TY!,

Thank you for the great question.

You may be able to achieve this with a static front page/post using some kind of RSS feed from each of the sub blogs - using a shortcode would be ideal and setting it to publish only one entry from the feed.

Perhaps some thing like WP RSS Fetcher ShortCode plugin will do the job for you.

The key to the above solution is does it show the image from the feed?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• xuefaith

Thanks Joe!

I'm a little sidelined working out DNS / Format issues with the multisite... but hope to be able to work on this homepage / front page issue any day now.

So would hacking / child theming the WooThemes Editorial theme to draw from subDomain blogs instead of the primary blog be a big project?

The RSS approach makes sense (I love the way Flipboard makes our feed look on iPads!) but it'd be nice to keep our Editorial theme so the whole "newspaper" looks consistent.

A totally different home page would be ok... but not my first choice...

I'll try to play with the WP RSS Fetcher ShortCode plugin you pointed me to as soon as I can get past the other structure issues... maybe that can plugin to the Editorial theme and do the whole thing.

I'll report back as soon as possible -- thank you!! :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings TY!,

Thank you for letting me know and what you would probably want to do is to upload the theme again but using a different folder name like if the theme is named "Theme" upload a copy naming it "Theme2" - then make the adjustments to Theme2 which is only activated on the main site with your special header and all the rest should be constructed using "Theme"

That way you have almost the same layout throughout but not affecting all layouts of the sub system.

Please advise when you are ready.

For house keeping efforts I am going to mark this ticket as resolved. However, when you are ready again either check mark this ticket as not resolved below and post that you are ready and where we are at with your installation.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.