Multisite hosting requirement

Dear wpmuDEV support:

I have two questions regarding multisite:

1. Do I need to have “Dedicated server” in order to reliably host a multisite installation? The reason I asked is that I am concerned about server load when eventually I have a lot of users on the multisite ?

2. Can you recommend a few good hosting company that is especially good fit for hosting big mulsi-site ? (Bluehost ? Immotion ? Hostgator…?)

Many thanks.

Alec

• HamRadioDude
    • HummingBird

Hi sonic6666

Welcome to wpmuDEV

1. Do I need to have “Dedicated server” in order to reliably host a multisite installation? The reason I asked is that I am concerned about server load when eventually I have a lot of users on the multisite ?

I my self have a VPS server and is a little less expensive then a dedicated Server.

If you are starting out I would pick a small VPS Server to start then you can increase to a larger one by just having support for the hosting company upgrade you most times they can do it with out you moving just by picking another package.

you do not need a Dedicated server just a Dedicated IP but when you get a VPS most will give you 2-4 IPs, just dedicate one to the Multisite account that you will create on the VPS

2. Can you recommend a few good hosting company that is especially good fit for hosting big mulsi-site ? (Bluehost ? Immotion ? Hostgator…?)

The Host I use is Servint. http://www.servint.net/

They have excellent Support and they will help you with any problem with the server.

I can Talk all day about them they are by far the best I have ever had and I had a lot. We used to have a Web Hosting Company.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@sonic6666

The host i use is wpmu-hosting.org It’s a company run by one of our staff @aecnu, quite a few of our own staff and customers use it myself included, the support is amazing and especially when you consider the fact that he also works here so all servers are optimised for wordpress as well with bulletproof security. His prices on dedicated servers are also amazing, i have the $189 package and never had a problem.

As far as if you need a dedicated server that would depend on what traffic and network size you would need. I have tagged him here for feedback also.

Kindest Regards

Tom

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @sonic6666 and welcome to the WPMU-DEV Community!

Many of our members and staff use http://wpmu-hosting.org/ which is a wordpress and multisite-specialized company. I suggest you take a look at them, they are really good! :slight_smile:

I agree with @HamRadioDude, a dedicated server could be too much. You could start with a VPS and if you find in the future that it’s not enough, you can switch to dedicated.

Cheers,

Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.