multisite - important questions about wpmudev terms of service

hello!

I am just starting to study Multisite features. Just to make 100% clear am not about to do something wrong i have some questions about the general use of the plugins and templates wpmudev provides to golden members. I did read the Terms of license - but still.

Can i use all the wpmudev plugins and templates and make them availabe for my multisite users? Or is there some restriction? (It would mean that my multisite members can use the plugins on their blogs on my multisite installation. I am btw thinking of having a free trial version and a paid membership on my multisite plattform, is there any restriction?). Is there anything important i should know?

And in general: If i buy developer license Templates at other companies (with "permission to use them on as many sites as i want") - lets say elegantthemes or solostream - i guess it is rather not possible to pass them on to my multisite members, or waht would you think? and is there any difference if i want to allow my multisitemembers to use them in a free or paid membership? i most certainly will ask these providers as well, but am happy if you give me your opinion about that or just share your experience with me.

thanks a lot! (and yes, i am a noob :wink: - and totally aware of it)

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Can i use all the wpmudev plugins and templates and make them availabe for my multisite users?

YES !!! all is gpl so go on.

i guess it is rather not possible to pass them on to my multisite members

Sure you can, and even for elegant theme you dont need the dev licence for a multisite, since it is YOUR site, and you dont distribute them on custumers sites.

Of cours, any premium themes i suggest you to only let them available for paid members !!!

I do as this :slight_smile:

• yourmedia_at
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

thx for the quick anwser aphrodite, that sounds promising!

but, i just checked with elegantthemes forum: their Terms of service say that even as a developer i might give a theme to a client, only "as part of a web design service where the theme is coupled with its own top level domain". but i guess this means something else, since i would not "give" the theme to a client, but just would let it use him on my multisite, right?

many thx!

---------------here is the full ET quote ------
    "The standard license provided with the ElegantThemes membership grants only personal use of the themes. This means that you can use the themes on as many of your own websites as you like, but you are not permitted to redistribute the themes to other people. If you are a web developer, however, and would like to use our themes for your clients, then you can purchase the Developers License for a one time fee of $89.00. This license allows you to use the themes in an unlimited number of client projects, so long as the theme is being given to the client as part of a web design service where the theme is coupled with its own top level domain. You are not permitted to sell or redistribute non-GPL portions of our themes, modified or unmodified, on their own. You can read more about the Developer's License as outline in our Terms and Conditions." (source: https://www.elegantthemes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46918&hilit=multisite)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya yourmedia_at,

You have nothing to worry about with our products here. We started out building our products for multisite folks and have no restrictions as far as how many client sites you use them on, etc.

It looks like elegantthemes may have a 'split license' where the php is open source but the design elements (such as CSS and images) are not GPL. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about from our stuff. Use them for any and all clients you have :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.