Multisite Infinite SEO 500 server error

Hi,

For one of my client subsites I get a server error when I go to >Settings>Infinte SEO.

This site was recently created. Every other subsite I check seems to be fine.

I can't attach a screen shot but I will try adding after I submit this question.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Larry,

Thank you for bringing this significant issue to our attention.

You mentioned that the clients site is new but did not mention if it has a lot of posts and pages or not?

Can you please post the URL for this specific sub site?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Can you please check your error logs and post the entries here.

That should point us to where the issue is.

If you are unsure how to find your error logs then you should see it in cPanel or your public_html but if not then please consult with your host as they will know the setup best.

Let me know what the errors are.

Thanks.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

According to my Hosting servce, Apache logs 500 errors by default.

However,he found a modsecurity error that may be related. So I generated the error 16 times in rapid succession so they can check that time period in the logs.

client sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname

ModSecurity: Access denied with code 501 (phase 2).

More to follow.
    Larry

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Larry,

For some reason, I think I have heard of this b4. The solution was to manually install rather than auto update the plugin. I have not tried this cause it makes little sense to do this.

This makes all the sense in the world since the auto updater occasionally corrupts files and you have no way to detect this with either the auto updater or WordPress included uploader.

At least with an FTP client not only can you insure that every file is indeed uploaded but also match the files sizes.

Try to do that with an auto uploader or auto updater.

Not that this is for certain the issue or the cure, but considering that it is so simple to do this would have been my first reaction if I indeed had this issue on one of my installations.

Cheers, Joe

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Like me, they saw no records in the logs.

According to my Hosting servce, Apache logs 500 errors by default.

However,he found a modsecurity error that may be related.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just get the Apache logs in the first place to let you know what the 500 error was.

Anyway, did you get to upload the files manually to sure there was issue of corruption?

If there was an issue with modsec on your install, did your host run a thorough check to ensure nothing else was messed up there?

If you are still getting a 500 error then there must be something else in those logs to say whats causing it.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I FTP's a new folder for the plugin and just for grins deactivated and reactivated, but the problem persists.

Then I created a new test site with the same template. No Infinite SEO problem with this one.

Difficult to figure. I wish I had created a new site b4 I replaced the plugin folder.

Larry

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

Of course they are on the same hosting space, same website, etc.

>If there are still 500 errors
    When I said "no more Infinite SEO problem with this one" I meant that invoking the plugin did not generate a 500 error. I thought that would have been clear.

>Makes you wonder why they didn't just get the Apache logs in the first place to let you know what the 500 error was.
    It may have made you wonder that, not me.

>Knowing the error would help eliminate the cause.
    Being able to readily repeat it should also help you come up with a way to determine the cause.

Maybe when the temp here drops below 105 my temp will also drop.

Regards,
    Larry

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

>If there are still 500 errors
    When I said "no more Infinite SEO problem with this one" I meant that invoking the plugin did not generate a 500 error. I thought that would have been clear.

That was clear, I was referring to your other install where the 500s were.

>Makes you wonder why they didn't just get the Apache logs in the first place to let you know what the 500 error was.
    It may have made you wonder that, not me.

It would certainly make me wonder why they told you there were non when there were. These things happen though.

>Knowing the error would help eliminate the cause.
    Being able to readily repeat it should also help you come up with a way to determine the cause.

If it happens in one install but not the other on the same hosting space, then it must be something local to that install/setup.

Still not seeing the error message being produced by the 500 message makes it harder to know.

You could test with another set of fresh files (remove the old ones and download a fresh set) then for theme/plugin conflicts by using the default Twenty Eleven theme and testing with all other plugins turned off.

Take care.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

The client subsite with the error still generates the error.

My new test subsite (created after the manual refresh of the plugin files using the same template as the site with the error) has no error. There is only subsite with the error.

The error is readily repeatable, so I would like to modify the plugin code invoked under >Settings>General>Infinite SEO> to trace out when the failure happens, even see if it ever getting to the plugin code. Putting in echo's to mark progress thru the php plugin code. It would be nice If you could point me to the file, otherwise I will dig around to try to find it when time permits. It seems to call up

Infinite SEO

I suspect I need to look into /wds-core/.

Larry

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Larry,

As Tim has indicated we have found someone else that is having this same type of issue here on staff which is PC which I seen him and Ve going back and forth with log file searches etc . trying to figure it out.

As mentioned by Tim and I know that I cannot replicate the issue either, but since one of us is able to replicate the issue there is a chance we will be able to figure it out and what they have in common.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.