MultiSite Install

Is it possible to do a MultiSite install into a sub-domain? Say if you wanted to use somthing other than WP for the Main Domain. Then have the MultiSite installed on the Sub-Domain?

• Steven
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'd say you're good to go based on my experiences. I setup a subdomain multisite installation with wpengine.com, so my site was site.wpengine.com. Then I created sites on that network which became site1.site.wpengine.com, site2.site.wpengine.com etc. Then I used the domain mapping plugin to hide the urls.

• Steven
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yeah I should probably mention also it wasn't exactly a piece of cake, but got there eventually. Make sure you have a good host and get in touch with them first, asking them if it's supported. You'll save yourself from many headaches.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mtb1701,

Great advice there from several members and I thank you all for your thoughts.

The most significant advice of course was having a great host and certainly one that has a clue about WordPress MultiSite installations would be a big bonus.

In this event and though I am biased for obvious reasons I would recommend http://wpmu-hosting.org/

Concerning the Domain Mapping plugin, because it is sub domains of sub domains, I would have to go with Donnchas version of Domain Mapping plugin since I know it indeed works with sub domains of sub domains without a lot of fuss.

Thanks again everyone for your input and for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.