Multisite Installation With Sub Directories Not Working

I have a fresh multisite installation. Installed using sub-directories. I did something wrong. The main site works fine. However, when I visit a newly created sub-site the CSS is not being accessed. When I try to reach the sub site I get "the page isn't redirecting properly" message. I have built networks with multisite four or five times before and can not recall having this problem before.

I have check and confirm the settings in wp-config.php and htaccess files are correct with wp-admin/network/setup.php.

I chatted with Kasia on Live Support and she suggested I open a ticket here to continue the conversation.

I have enable support access to the site.

Any ideas what I missed and or have done wrong?

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Loren,

I consulted your case and it looks like this is conflict between htaccess from your multisite in subdirectory and WordPress installed in root directory, but we would need to check that closer. Could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include cPanel credentials
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

please confirm here when you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Loren,

I'm very sorry for delay on my end - I wasn't available due to travelling to WordCamp US - that is why it's best to confirm here in thread about sending credentials so other staff member can see there is something to check.

It looks like htaccess entry that WordPress generated for your subsite was wrong. I changed it to

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /alcsites/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

and now there is no more redirect loop and subsite is displaying correctly. Please check on your end and confirm it is working for you also.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.