Multisite keeps going down

Hello,

I was hoping that maybe you can help me out with a problem I am having with any suggestions.

I'm running a multisite for a high school. The students get their own site on the network and they work on the site during class.

Everything works well for about 15-20 min then the site goes down. They get chinook.school-core.com site didn't send any data - ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This seems to be an intermittent problem with the high school. I am able to access the site with no issues from my computer at the same time it's down for the students.

I have a Managed VPS with A2 hosting where the site is.

The techs at A2 hosting are trying to figure out the cause. They said the connection limit hasn't been hit. The school computers are all on the same IP address. We had this problem last Feb and resolved it.

They can't seem to find a cause for the sites going down. They have increased the connection limit and the memory limit. I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

jayjay

• Milan

Hello jayjay ,

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Its indeed seems connection limit issue. As you have applied settings for that, let's wait and see how it goes. If it resolved problem, just keep an eye on your active connection limits and number of users using your site. If number increase, try to increase connection limit too.

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile:
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• jayjay

More information about what is happening.

The students all seem to be able to login and go to their site. The sites go down when they try and edit the page.

It appears to only happen when the class, between 30-40 students, are on at the same time.

The Hosting company says they can find anything in the error logs.

Could this be an issue with the theme or a plugin? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the configuration:

Wordpress 4.6.1, Multistie
    Theme on all sites: Divi 3.0 from elegant themes

Plugins installed:
    Black Studio TinyMCE Widget
    BP Auto Activate Autologin Redirect To Profile On Signup
    BuddyDev Dashboard
    BuddyDev Username Availability Checker
    Buddypress (Activated on main site only)
    Elegant Themes Updater
    Multisite Privacy
    Nav Menu Roles
    Network Roles for WordPress
    New Blog Templates
    PDF Embedder Premium Secure
    Set Password on Multisite Blog Creation
    Snapshot
    Site Categories
    Support System
    TinyMCE Advanced
    Ultimate Branding
    User Activation Keys
    User Switching
    Wordfence Security
    WP Smush Pro
    WPMU DEV Dashboard
    WPMU DEV Videos

Thanks,

jayjay

• jayjay

Hello Milan

Sorry I didn't see your post before I sent the last one.

I think it's a connection issue too. They have increased the connection limits to 100 for the soft limit and 150 for the hard limit.

They also have increased the memory limit allowed to the web server.

Would using the backend in WordPress cause more connection issues? There are between 30-40 kids in a class using the computer lab at the same time. They can get to the front end of the home page fine but when the click the Edit Page link that's when things go down.

The teacher told me that some did get to the backend and there was a bunch of weird writing. I believe this was the Divi Theme shortcodes that they were seeing. Would the Divi Theme be causing this issue?

Thanks for all the help. I will be monitoring everything tomorrow and hopefully the increase in connections and memory will do the trick.

Jay

• Dimitris

Hey there jayjay,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

They can get to the front end of the home page fine but when the click the Edit Page link that's when things go down.

This is probably happening either by a plugin or your active theme, which run in the admin area.

You can always perform a theme/plugin conflict test (you can find a detailed flow chart here https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/) but the more difficult step for you will be to actually recreate this issue. Maybe you should disable all related plugins that involve in a edit page screen and see how that goes with live traffic.

As this is a live working site, creating a testing environment can become really handy but again you'll have the restriction of no traffic, which seems to be necessary to recreate the issue.

Looking forward for your results with your hosting provider. :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• jayjay

Hello Dimitris,

I believe you are right about the theme. I tried to recreate the problem by opening 20 tabs with each tab a different students site. I then hit the Edit Page link as quick as I could on each of the tabs.

Most of the sites loaded the Divi page builder, but I did get an error saying the Divi page builder could not load. Debugging mode must be set to false.

I had an issue a few months ago and it was suggested that I put this code in the wpcofig file

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

I was having problems loading image file to the library and the code worked.

I removed the code and change WP_DEBUG to true, Elegant Themes said they fixed that isse, and I ran the test again.

The WP_DEBUG error never came back and most of the sites worked. The first 2 sites that I refreshed, the backend came up but the Divi builder never loaded. I hit refresh again and everything worked.

Is this something with the Divi Theme? Or is it something with the resources on the server?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

jayjay
    The error never

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello jayjay!

The DEBUG lines that you mentioned are not supposed to fix anything. Instead they are supposed to produce the "/wp-content/debug.log" file on your server where some detailed debugging information should show up. This is expected to carry some important/helpful data that should help us identify the issue and search for the solution.

That being said, are these lines currently in the "wp-config.php" file of your site? If not, can you add them please? Then, please do what's necessary to recreate the issue and afterwards download the "/wp-content/debug.log" file, rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your post here. Hopefully this will help us help you :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello jayjay,

Thank you for your response!

It seems that the upload didn't work for you as I can't see the file. I suggested renaming the file to "debug.txt" because you are allowed to add .txt files but not .zip files. However, as the file is big and you weren't able to attach it anyway you might as well upload it to any file hosting service (such as e.g. Google Drive or Dropbox) and share a download link with me here.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.