Multisite, Login Security for mapped domains

Hey guys, hopefully someone has some wisdom they can offer on this…

Normally on a single site install of wordpress I like to use a security plugin to rename the wp-login page to something harder to guess. Security through obscurity – works great!

But on a domain-based, multisite install when mapping sites to client’s domains is a different story. As far as I can tell none of the popular Security Plugins (All in One Wp Security and Firewall, Wordfence, Bulletproof Security, iThemes Security, etc.) offer a feature that will obscure or rename sub-site’s with the id of 2 or greater login page when using the “mapped Domain” selection for the login mapping” of WPMUDEV’s Domain mapping plugin.

So what you end up with is site-id-one.com/new-login.php which is the desired result, but for the rest it’s still site-id-two.com/wp-login, site-id-three.com/wp-login, and so on.

Does anyone have any insights on how to achieve this behavior?

Thanks,
Dana

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dana,

Hope you are well today!

Thanks for your question. What security plugin are you using? I looked up this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/rename-wp-login/ and it seems to be compatible with multisite

Are you allowing users to login via their own domains or are you forcing all subsite logins to the main site login?

Let us know! We'll continue to look into a resolution for ya

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dana

Hey Tyler, thanks for the quick response and the tip on the plugin!

In answer to your questions…

I am allowing users to login via their own domains (my preferred method), but if I have to force sub-sites to login through the main site login to gain this feature (renaming login pages for sub-sites) I will. Obviously in this second scenario everyone would be logging in through the new-login.php on the main site.

For single sites I like All in One Wp Security and Firewall. It’s very simple to use and reliable. But it doesn’t offer this feature for sub-sites (renaming login pages for sub-sites) or at least not for sub-sites where users login via their own mapped domains.

I’m not sure the plugin you referenced above can achieve this either. I’m going to investigate this now.

Thanks for the help!
    Dana

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dana,

No problem! How is the investigation going?

For single sites I like All in One Wp Security and Firewall. It’s very simple to use and reliable. But it doesn’t offer this feature for sub-sites (renaming login pages for sub-sites) or at least not for sub-sites where users login via their own mapped domains.

The plugin I listed above gives the ability to re-name subsite logins, but your right, maybe not mapped logins.

Keep us updated on the situation!

Cheers,
      Tyler