Multisite + Membership 2 Pro = one login

I have been trying to figure this out for months with no luck. If you can help me you'll be my favorite.

I would like to have a membership site with several components:
A directory
Courses
A forum
A commerce site

I would like to have 3 or 4 membership levels, each with their own access each component.
So - membership 1 would be able to access certain courses, the forum and the commerce site.
Membership 3 can create 1 listing in the directory but can't access anything else.

I am starting to think that I'm just not going to be able to do this but am giving it one last try with multisite.

I would like all of the registration and logging in and out to be done on the main page and then if they go to another site (courses?) it will detect their login and give them the correct access to the courses site.

So I guess I'd like to be able to set up the membership levels and say - Membership one has access to THIS on site one, THIS on site two, and THIS on site three. And then when someone purchases that membership level they log in once and can move around the other sites without having to log back in.

Does that make sense at all? Is any of that possible? If so - what do I need to do? I'm just playing around with a dummy site right now so if I need to start from scratch I'm willing to do that. I just need to know what plugins I need, if there's a certain order to install and activate, how to set them up etc.

Thank you.

• Sajid

Hi @Christyjoy

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

It sounds like you are have divided each section in each subsite. No worries Membership 2 can handle that as well. In this case you first need to enable network protection mode of Memberhsip 2 by adding following line of code in wp-config.php file.

define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

Create membership levels and from protection rules protect content of each site there. The user on entire network will now only access the content he have access to.

To enable autologin on entire network. It should work fine on a sub directory setup. But in case its not working for you then you can try below plugin for this functionality.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-multisite-sso/

We also have domain mapping plugin that has built in feature of auto login on entire network, you can also use that, if you wish to map your domains and other useful options.

Note: Switching to network wide protection, you existing memberships and setting will be lost. You have to do set that up again.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Christyjoy

Thank you ! I think I've got things set up correctly. I'm just working through each separate site to see if I can set things up correctly.

I'm starting with CoursePress and have a couple of questions:

1 - I can see my users from the Network Admin and main site dashboard, but not on the individual sites. Which is OK, except that I can't add a user as an instructor in Course Press. Only the Admin shows up in the dropdown.

2 - Is there a way to set up an Instructor Dashboard? The only thing I want my instructors to be able to see on the Learning site is the courses they are instructors for. So I'd love to be able to create a My Courses page for instructors.

3 - Is it possible, with this MU setup, to have some courses available as an extra charge - NOT part of the membership? Most of my courses will be part of a membership, but there will be 2 or 3 that I want to charge extra for. I could set up a new membership level for these courses and allow members to enroll in more than one membership, right? But then how do I restrict access on just a couple of the courses?

So I create a membership level Course 3 - how do I make course 3 ONLY available to users who have paid for that membership?

4 - Is there a way to show a different home page to different membership levels? So when someone in Membership One goes to http://www.mysite.com/site1 they see a page for that membership type, and someone in Membership Two will see a different page?

I have activated support access just in case you want to see what I'm doing. I'm just playing around and trying to see how things work for now. This isn't a site I plan to use.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for all of your help.

Christy

• Sajid

Hi @Christyjoy

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

1 - I can see my users from the Network Admin and main site dashboard, but not on the individual sites. Which is OK, except that I can't add a user as an instructor in Course Press. Only the Admin shows up in the dropdown.

This is WordPress that does not allow users of main site to be accessible on subsites. However, I found a plugin on wordpress.org that you should do this.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-sync/

2 - Is there a way to set up an Instructor Dashboard? The only thing I want my instructors to be able to see on the Learning site is the courses they are instructors for. So I'd love to be able to create a My Courses page for instructors.

This is built in already, all instructors can access their own courses and also can create and do stuff depending upon the capabilities you set from CoursePress Pro > Settings > Instructor Capabilities.

3 - Is it possible, with this MU setup, to have some courses available as an extra charge - NOT part of the membership? Most of my courses will be part of a membership, but there will be 2 or 3 that I want to charge extra for. I could set up a new membership level for these courses and allow members to enroll in more than one membership, right? But then how do I restrict access on just a couple of the courses?

You can restrict access of courses using "Individual Custom Posts" add-on. You can make some part of membership and leave others as standalone. Sell them independently or with any other membership, that's entirely upto you.

4 - Is there a way to show a different home page to different membership levels? So when someone in Membership One goes to http://www.mysite.com/site1 they see a page for that membership type, and someone in Membership Two will see a different page?

Its not possible out of the box, I am afraid. But this can be done with some custom code and I would suggest you please create a separate topic for this one. Because its totally different then above and require a dedicated ticket to get this done. Also its recommended to post each question in its seperate ticket to get faster response and according to our forum posting rules. This also helps other members to find an answer for similar issues in future.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.