Multisite Network Initial Setup to be ready for future services through plugins

Hi there,

Loads of questions for initial setup to make sure I am prepared for future plans. I am very familiar with running Wordpress single installs but this will be my first multisite.

I am launching a site soon and want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure my business plan will work with wpmudev plugins long term.

The initial site will not be much more than a blog with some free courses I want to offer via coursepress and some physical products for sale I want to sell via a third party shopping cart. I'm also intending to use some social plugins such as pay for a like to access some article content. I'm happy with how to do all this.

However, further down the line I want to offer users various levels of access through a subscription for access to post to Classifieds, events, directory, marketpress as an Etsy type install including my own ecommerce store, jobs and experts listing and allow users to create their own blogs with premium templates / access to pay to blog plugin. I would want a combination of one time charges and subscriptions to access Coursepress courses.

Other than setting up as a multisite install from the outset (already done), what else should I do during initial setup to ensure smooth installation of premium services listed above further down the line? Can I do all this on one multisite install using Membership pro 2? Should I create subdomains as separate sites on the multisite install to run each service or are the above better off al running on the main site rather than separate sites across the network? I am assuming that using included themes for coursepress and marketpress would require them to be on different sites but it looks as though they will comfortably run on the same site using the same theme.Is that right?

Thanks in advance

Jay

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jay,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

The initial site will not be much more than a blog with some free courses I want to offer via coursepress and some physical products for sale I want to sell via a third party shopping cart.

This first part should be easy, CoursePress integrates with <a href="I'm also intending to use some social plugins such as pay for a like to access some article content. I'm happy with how to do all this.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce/">MarketPress and Woocommerce and you can any of those to sell both courses and physical products.

I'm also intending to use some social plugins such as pay for a like to access some article content.

This shouldn't interfere with CoursePress or eCommerce plugins, so you should be good to go without any special setup.

However, further down the line I want to offer users various levels of access through a subscription for access to post to Classifieds, events, directory, marketpress as an Etsy type install including my own ecommerce store, jobs and experts listing and allow users to create their own blogs with premium templates / access to pay to blog plugin.

There's nothing you need to setup before installing any of the above plugins, all options are configured from plugins directly.

For selling blogs you should check out Pro Sites plugin that allow setting premium themes and plugins based on subscription level, and to allow creating new blogs based on existing templates you can use New Blog Templates plugin.

I would want a combination of one time charges and subscriptions to access Coursepress courses.

For this you would need to disable selling via eCommerce plugin and use Membership plugin and protect courses for certain memberships.

Should I create subdomains as separate sites on the multisite install to run each service or are the above better off al running on the main site rather than separate sites across the network?

I can't give you definite answer on this part, it really depends on the way you want your network to function.

I am assuming that using included themes for coursepress and marketpress would require them to be on different sites but it looks as though they will comfortably run on the same site using the same theme.Is that right?

You can use both on same site and use the same theme, and then further adjust anything you want with some CSS.
    To sell courses using MarketPress they need to be both on same site but if you use CoursePress with Membership and sell physical products via MarketPress then you can have CP and MP on separate sites.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.