Multisite network panel for ALL settings of Hummingbird

Hi WPMUDEV,

I'm running a multisite with over 100 sites with the same configuration (themes, plugins, functions). I would like to use Hummingbird for caching. Some features are on network level but the asset management is on sitelevel which makes the network very difficult to manage... If i want to add one asset like a css file i need to add it in 100 sites, that's a lottt of work :slight_frown:.

W3 Total Cache has this option: Use single network configuration file for all sites.
Only one configuration file for whole network will be created and used. Recommended if all sites have the same configuration.

I would like to have a option like this in Hummingbird, so that the minifier settings, etc. are also on network level.

Menno

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Menno

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Asset Optimization is an extremely "sensitive" procedure and even the slightest difference in configuration can sometimes cause huge difference in how AO should be set to properly handle the site. A large number of exactly identical sites on multisite is actually quite a rare case scenario, I think, so in most cases Asset Optimization requires separate "fine tuning" per site anyway.

But I can see the point here and if those sub-sites are exactly the same if it comes to configuration (of course differences in content - e.g. posts or pages - wouldn't make a difference to AO in this case), it would actually be quite handy to be able to either have just a single "point of control" or have some button to "spread" current configuration from one site to all other sites of the network.

That said, I've forwarded this idea to our developers for further consideration. I'm not sure how this should work "technically" and how much coding/changes it would require so I'd rather not make promises at this point but yeah, it makes sense to me so I've pushed it already to our dev team :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Menno
    • Flash Drive

Hi Adam Czajczyk

Thanks for your fast response. Asset Management is indeed a sensitive procedure. We use a very flexible theme with a lot of theme options and a pagebuilder so every site in the network looks completely different.

We now use Comet Cache Pro and also tested it W3 Total Cache. These plugins have a network panel and run all settings from this. You can switch settings based on themes in the network. Maybe you can take a look on it. Both plugins have their pros and cons. But the support is a bit limited unless you pay for it. That's what i like about WPMUDEV, a low monthly fee for good support :slight_smile:.

Hope the network settings are flying over to Hummingbird too! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Menno

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Menno

I just got a quick update for you and I think it's a good news :slight_smile: There's going to be an "import/export" option for Asset Optimizaiton in future. It's still "worked on" but there's already a partial code ready. I don't have an ETA and can't say in what exact form it will be implemented but I can confirm it's gonna be there :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• splaquet
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Menno , I'm in the same boat actually.

Adam Czajczyk , although import/export is nice, doesn't that mean that we still need to spend time on each subsite to perform the import/export?

Features like a 1-click "clear all asset optimization cache" and an interface, similar to Smush's network smush settings (where it shows all of the image sizes) would be ideal to start off with.

I realize that most larger multisites are not driven by 1 master user, but rather several sub-admins on each site. The problem for me is that when there's something a little off, I find myself opening each site in a different tab to review the optimizations.

It sounds like Menno and I are both using the same theme, site wide. One *AMAZING* feature would be if nothing more, we could at least have the theme files be centrally managed.

hah... my brain is starting to run. i'll end this one now :wink:

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Menno

There's quite a lot planned, including Asset Optimization import/export mentioned earlier and a central global-level "network wide" configuration settings that sub-sits could inherit. I don't have any ETA though and much more details on implementation, I'm afraid. But these things are on a developers' task list though.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.