Multisite not creating new blog/sites after move to new server.

hello anyone who can help,

This may not be the place for it but am hopeful and have also posted the same over at WordPress forums

I have a WordPress Multisite that I had perfectly functioning on one server but needed to move it to a new server on its own to insure site had room to grow. Now whenever I try to create a new blog/site nothing happens unless I use a mapped domain.

Here is background:

Site url http://thefityou.ca
Multisite using sub-domains and yes wildcard is setup correctly as it was all working perfectly before and previous blogs created still work with sub domains.

When you go though process of creating a new account it looks like it is going to create a new site such as "example.thefityou.ca" but the emails only return a validation for "thefityou.ca" without the subdomain as they did before and if you validate all that happens is a new user is created who has no access to anything and no new blog is created.

I have gone though disabling all plugins and tried registering but it still won't create a new blog. It is like for some reason the data is not getting passed to the database.

One thing that has changed is the new server is running the latest in mysql MariaDB 10.0

Any ideas on this would be great thanks.

John Overall

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @John Overall

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

The only thing I can think of htaccess. Do you have correct htaccess code? Did you move htaccess from old server?

If you send me cpanel and admin details, I can take a deeper look.

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• John Overall
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have checked the htaccess file and double checked it as well as check my wp-config to make sure all was well. It not a problem of not seeing a blog it is a problem of the blog not even getting created.

I can grant access to the site though my WPMU dashboard will that work?

John Overall

• John Overall

here are steps screen shots on what happens
    step 1 http://screencast.com/t/sAnzOWd0kJ

step 2 sub site looks like it will be created
    http://screencast.com/t/iE6SexAidc4

step 3
    Appears to have been created but sub is lost
    http://screencast.com/t/C7NJJBSDTFmX

Step 4
    verification email show no sub domain
    http://screencast.com/t/T27Q45tn

step 5
    after following verification link did not create blog just a user as shown in these two screen shots
    http://screencast.com/t/lNIwAEJIeenM
    http://screencast.com/t/zmh1Nn9SI shows new user created but no site..

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @John Overall

Yes, you are right. From front end, the sites are not being created. It seems a conflict.

Would you please run a plugin conflict test? Please deactivate all plugins except this one and check if you still face the problem. If not, then enable one by one and check which one is causing the problem. You can see the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let me know what you get.

Cheers
    Ash

NB: I know it was working for you in another server, but in this server we need to find the culprit. It could be domain mapping or multi domain or wordfence or maybe any other plugin. But you really need to test which one.

• John Overall

Ok I have found the time to check this out and have deactivated all plugins reactivating until i hit the error and it looks like it is the multi-domain plugin that is causing the issue. currently i only have the following plugins active:
    Multi-Domains for Multisite
    WPMU DEV Dashboard

Just these two and it will not create the sub domain. If I deactivate the multi domains then it all works well i have tried going back to version 1.3.4 and all the others in between but no luck. Any ideas here would be great. This plugin is important to the success of the site.

• John Overall

So with some further testing I re-activated all my plugins and the only one that causes this issue is the multi-domain plugin. When it is deactivated creation of new sites goes as planned but of course you can only use the main domain none of the multiple domains can be used. I did note that even though the plugins was turned off any sites that were previously created using the alternate domains still work.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @John Overall

Great that you found the issue :slight_smile:

Let me know something about your setup:

1. The domains you added as multi-domains, are they added as parked domain in the main site cpanel?
    2. Did you create wildcard subdomain (*.domain.com) for all multi-domain domains?
    3. Did you move correctly sunrise.php?
    4. And did you add define sunrise to on in wp-config.php?

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• John Overall

Yes to everything and I even when back and double checked each item in the list to make sure..
    But at this point I think I am going to start over with everything since site is still in development. It seems much of my issues started when trying to keep plugins up-to-date during the development of this site.

I just have to many issues compounded one on top of the other here is a list.

If I update all plugins (mostly wpmu plugins):
    I cannot create sites
    The redirect for multiple site creation does not work with latest version of mapped domains
    cannot create sub-domains,
    no pricing tables in upgrade page for pro sites.
    some email issues

All in all it is just causing me to spin my wheels and probably bext I simply start over and test each and every step along the way so that if I see it break I know exactly what went wrong.

Thanks for the help on this and I will keep in touch.

John Overall

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @John Overall

Yes, in that staring over is a good idea.

I would recommend to complete all the steps one by one, and when you find any issues, just pause there and ask me. I will try my best to provide solution :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• John Overall

Hi Ash,
    ok I have started the rebuild and all was going smoothly until I hit the prosites install.
    here is path so far I installed with no problem and tested:
    WPMU DEV Dashboard ----- first no problems
    Stream ------ second to track all changes
    Unconfirmed -- to be able to remove keys ect
    User Activation Keys -- same as above expected to be doing lots of testing
    Domain Mapping -- all went well
    Multi-Domains for Multisite --- all seemed well
    Pro Sites --- as soon as activated got this error:
    Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_******************************, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 29

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php:29) in wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 29

• John Overall

wow new error was trying to revert to base 2015 theme and got this

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_**************************, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 24

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php:24) in/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 24

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php:24) in /wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1196

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_****************************, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

edited a bit

• John Overall

went to log out and got a bigger mess and had to manually disable plugin to get back in here is the mess...
    Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_*******************************b, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites-files/lib/ProSites/Helper/Session.php on line 24

removed a bunch of junk edits

• John Overall

Hi Ash,
    Ok all that practice from rebuilding the site allowed me to find and correct the errors in the original site and then be able to update all plugins. I am still having one problem though what are the chances you could have a look and maybe see something I have not been able to.

Guess I should mention the problem.. What it happening is the lack of tables for the pro sites registration page. http://thefityou.ca/pro-site/

I have granted the access.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.