Multisite not working correctly

I've changed everything according to the install instructions. It shows up on the menu, when I click on it all I see is "Create a Network of Wordpress Sites" but nothing under that. I am confused about the database thing. I followed the instructions and added a new database and new user. When I change the php to those new names and refresh wordpress it's asking me for a whole new wordpress install. I don't want to do that because I have a current site already made and I don't want to override that.

Also my code has these two lines after define('WP_DEBUG', false);
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );
define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

Not sure if the define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true); should go under the debug word or after update core and should there be any empty lines between them or all 4 together?

Thanks!

• Nastia

Hello @business36

I trust you are doing well today!

I am confused about the database thing. I followed the instructions and added a new database and new user. When I change the php to those new names and refresh wordpress it's asking me for a whole new wordpress install.

First, install the Wordpress Single installation. Please see the detailed instructions here and here.

Check if you have inserted correct Username and Database name to the wp-config.php. If you had single multisite previously there is no need to change the Database username and password again

After this, to create a multisite, please add the following into the wp-config.php file:

/* Multisite */
    define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );

From your Dashboard, navigate to Network Setup menu. You should see the following:

You should add the code that you see there to the wp-config.php file right above the line reading
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

The code that you have there already should be there:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );
    define( 'WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE', false );

For more, please see the WordPress Codex page.

And replace the current code that you have in the .htaccess like it's shown in the attached screenshot above.

Please follow the instructions how to create a multisite network from Wordpress.org or from our manual.

I hope this helps!

Let us know if you require any further information!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.