Multisite now, Buddypress later?

My brain is melting...

I've been poking around for weeks now with BP and MU, trying to get a hold of things. Here's what I want to do:

I sell tutorials for schools for adobe products. I want the main site to have membership installed to provide those tutorials to members behind a pay wall, and in addition, access to support forums and stuff. I guess it's ultimately very much like this site- members only to premium stuff.

I'd also like to offer those members their own blogs for their classrooom use.

Can I do both Membership and Prosites? and can I link the customers in both so that when they have a certain membership level, they can automatically get access to a prosite level?

So it would be just like here at WPMU, but users could also get a public blog with basic features, and later I may try to offer "premier" packages with additional goodies.

This is easy, right? I don't need buddypress, I can just use some of the community building plugs here to do all I want, right? Buddypress seems SO convoluted.

rs

• Timothy Bowers

Hey screamstone

Can I do both Membership and Prosites? and can I link the customers in both so that when they have a certain membership level, they can automatically get access to a prosite level?

Currently there is no real integration between Membership and Pro Sites.

You can use Membership to sell websites though, it can also restrict plugin but not themes.

I do think integration with Pro sites would be pretty cool, however Membership is based on the user with subscription whereas Pro sites is based on the site.

So it would be just like here at WPMU, but users could also get a public blog with basic features, and later I may try to offer "premier" packages with additional goodies.

We actually use a varient of Pro Sites for WPMU Dev or maybe Pro sites is a varient of what we use here. Visa versa, my memory forgets. ha

This is easy, right? I don't need buddypress, I can just use some of the community building plugs here to do all I want, right? Buddypress seems SO convoluted.

You don't have to use BuddyPress but if you are looking for a social networking plugin then this really is the best one. There are those we have here which predate BuddyPress and there are a couple of other options out there like Mingle:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mingle/

And WP Symposium:

http://www.wpsymposium.com/

BuddyPress is my preference.

Take care.

• screamstone

Yeah- it would be cool if in membership you could just also have the prosites levels that you could drag to negative or positive rules. That would just make it so that they can have a membership to the site (like here at WPMU) but also get a blog with the membership.

Haven't played with prosites to see how it works yet... but I'll upload and check it out.

No compatibly issues known yet with membership and Prosites with a buddypress multisite install then?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.