multisite on AWS

It appears that only the hosting Beta is open.

Since I am launching a multisite project that customers will be dependent on, I would like to review with a sales/technical person my needs requirements.

Lastly, is it true to say that the existing WPMUDEV plugins including domain mapping will work with a sub directory multisite?

If I am to use the WPMUDEV plugins on AWS, may I use sub directory there with WPMUDEV Domain Mapping plugin out of the box?

Or would I need to license special plugins or system design from the Enterprise level of WPMUDEV hosting?

• splaquet
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Someone might correct me here… but I believe that’d depend on which AWS package that you roll out.

If you create a instance on AWS that’s web host ready, it should act as any traditional, cloud hosting environment. The only licensing needed would be if you opted for cPanel, paid licensed versions of OS/CloudLinux, etc.

If you built the AWS instance on opensource packages, or even paid packages, your current WPMU license would apply just the same as if you were to set it up within any WordPress environment.

• OMNISAPIEN
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

K. Thanks for the insight.

What about the subdomain / sub directory nature of the domain mapping plugin?

Currently I have a beta site on AWS with Sub Domains but there are issues with automation of sub domains from there.

So is Domain Mapping capable to work freely with sub directory based multi-site WP environments?

• splaquet
    • The Incredible Code Injector

The often overlooked, yet essential part of Domain mapping is that YOU MUST have a dedicated IP on the account.

I’ve played around with domain mapping on a shared IP. It was mostly just to test things out and see what the consistency and issues really looked like.

My conclusion was that I felt pretty comfortable using two domains, each with domain mapping in a subdomain environment, sharing an IP.

From what I can tell, although domain mapping on a shared IP can yield the desired results, you run into immediate limitations. The first one that I hit was the issue of a wildcard SSL on the primary domain. Although SNI is becoming more and more common is most modern browsers, it isn’t reliable in a professional setting.

Even when I saw it working “correctly” on the front end, I was watching a long stream of SSL request errors stream through the Apache error log.

• Kasia Swiderska
      • Support nomad

Hello splaquet,

The often overlooked, yet essential part of Domain mapping is that YOU MUST have a dedicated IP on the account.

It’s the best solution, but not only one. Domain Mapping can be used on shared hosting, without dedicated IP.

If a domain can be added as an add-on domain in cPanel and pointed to the root directory where Multisite is installed then it can be mapped.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello OMNISAPIEN,

Lastly, is it true to say that the existing WPMUDEV plugins including domain mapping will work with a sub directory multisite?

Domain Mapping plugin works on both Multisite types. It doesn’t matter if that is subdomain or subdirectory. In both cases, you can map domains (using our plugin or native WordPress mapping).

Plugin Multi-Domain will not work on sub-directory based Multisite (but that is different plugin than Domain Mapping).

kind regards,

Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.