Multisite plugin: Site Down...HELP!!!

Please see the chat below with hosting support. Between them and the coder, we cannot figure out why the site is down. Can you tell me why, or do you have any further questions?
(Keep in mind that We are making the site into a site like edublogs.org - where you can build your own blog. - We are using multisites and wpmudev plugins)

Me: I have a guy working for me and he is unable to make wildcard dns? Can you check to see what the problem may be?

Them: What error is he getting?

Me: The system experienced a problem with the creation of * subdomain
We are just logging into the cpanel for that site
Then we are going to subdomains and creating a *

Them: 'm very sorry for the delay in responding to your ticket! I've looked over your feedster.com account, and it looks like you were unable to create a new subdomain entry within cPanel for *.feedster.com because you had already created a new A record for the subdomain within the DNS Zone Editor. cPanel can't create a subdomain if any DNS records already exist for it, so I've removed those A records within the DNS zone editor, and was able to successfully add the wildcard subdomain at that point.

Me: Now feedster.com has a database error? What do I do To Fix this?

Them: It looks like feedster.com is receiving a very large amount of traffic to these two URLs, /ping and /wp-signup.php. This is causing the server to overload and load slowly, which would also cause the database errors you ran into earlier.

I would suggest that you look into caching plugins for that website, to see if it would help reduce the load that website causes. I have tried to install our nginx caching proxy in front of the website to see if it would help reduce the load, but unfortunately it is not having any impact.

If you would like, we can try switching your server over to using mod_ruid2 with PHP APC. This would help reduce the memory usage and load of your websites, but may take 20-30 minutes of downtime, and would disable some features such as the ability to use multiple versions of PHP or temporary preview URLs through mod_userdir.

Me: I have a question about this part of what you said:

disable some features such as the ability to use multiple versions of PHP or temporary preview URLs through mod_userdir.

- We are making the site into a site like edublogs.org - where you can build your own blog. - We are using multisites and wpmudev plugins - Will this effect that in any way as I don't know what any of this means...
Our site is toally offline - We have to do something (I don't know where the traffic is coming from to those two links....

Them: I don't believe mod_userdir will effect multisite, but you may want to clarify with the plugin maker if they use apache mod_userdir.

As for the server, it locked up to due to being overloaded and needed to reboot. As soon as I rebooted it the server start having a lot of apache threads ran at once, 100's a second are being run, most of them are

/usr/bin/php-cgi /home/wwwfeedster/public_html/index.php

Are you expecting heavy traffic to that site? If so, we can try either the APC/Opcache setup, or you may want to look into moving that site onto Cloudflare DNS which can mitigate a lot of traffic.

That is where the conversation left off. This site is a VITAL site in our organization, and we need to get this resolved as quickly as possible.
Can you offer any help/advice?

• Tyler Postle

Hey there Will,

Thanks for the detailed question. Based on your conversation with your host it sounds like you are receiving a lot of spam visits that is causing you to hit limits with your server and that's causing the downtime. In this case, as they mention, Cloudflare is a good option because it will actually block the IP's for those spam visits so they don't use up all your resources.

However, just to ensure there isn't another issue going on here would you mind sending in your cPanel and wp-admin to me privately? Then I can run some plugin/debug checks to ensure there isn't another issue going on.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -cPanel credentials (login url/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. Does your wildcard subdomain work properly now? Or are new sites not displaying properly still?

• Will

Ok - I have tried everything I know to do.

I have read everything I know to read.

I can't figure what the crap is going on.

Here are the two issues:
    1. The site is down. I think when the guy who set up multisite for us did so he moved some folders and so my site's database is in the wrong folder (or isn't properly coded to the folder it's in)

2. I keep getting database error - My server company said something was hitting the site with a lot of traffic and causing this problem. I shutdown every plugin and that doesn't seem to be it? So I am lost now as ever as to what to do next.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.