Multisite Plugins

Hi there,

I've got a multisite build now configured, the main aim will be to have one site for managing payments for events people go to and a second site in the network which will be using CoursePress Pro. I am wondering (before I start pulling out wires) which WPMU plugin is best for managing network wide users so for example, someone signing up as a user on the primary site is automatically setup on the Coursepress site.

I've looked around for methods of creating this type of network and there's a lot of conflicting and out of date information. I wonder if anyone knows the best approach to this?

Kind regards

Stephen

• Dimitris

Hey there Stephen,

I hope that you're having a beautiful day and thanks for reaching us!

As long as both Events+ and CoursePress plugin can be activated in a single sub-site, you should use a plugin like Multisite User Management in order to auto-activate users in all sub sites and you'll be good to go. :wink:

Feel free to give this a try and follow up in our forums if more assistance is required.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Stephen

Hi Dimitris,

Still working through the setup, its the first time I've setup a multisite, but with the amount of times I've gone through the process over the last 24 hours I've got a grasp of the setup. I have a site added to the network via All in One Multisite Migration to configure Coursepress as a basic test but I get the following errors on all sites once Coursepress is activated across the network.

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_39ft31pt83khjabn271418tb80, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php on line 13

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php:13) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php on line 13

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php:13) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sg-cachepress/class-sg-cachepress.php on line 335
  • Dimitris

Hello Stephen :slight_smile:

I have a site added to the network via All in One Multisite Migration to configure Coursepress as a basic test but I get the following errors on all sites once Coursepress is activated across the network.

This is most probably due to a server misconfiguration or due to the migration process, as this is not the default outcome.

Was CoursePress part of this migration or did you install it afterwards?

Can you (or your hosting provider) double check please the folders/files permissions in your WP installation?

I can see that the last error involves the Siteground Cachepress plugin. Could you try to disable it and try CoursePress installation/activation once more?
    If this continues, please try to disable all other plugins, revert to a default theme and try one more time, just in case this is some kind of conflict.

Looking forward for your feedback on this! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris

In addition, it seems that on a multisite network if I activate Course Press for the network I get the above errors. If I deactivate and via super admin privileges activate on a sub site Coursepress works fine and no errors.
    I can live with this as long as I am able to allow users across the network.

I posted my previous reply before reading this new one.
    I'm glad that you made it work somehow (and that Multisite User Management plugin did the trick), still, if you'd wish, you can continue with previous steps just in case we find something considering your installation. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Stephen

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for your feedback on both posts. Heres some feedback for you.

Was CoursePress part of this migration or did you install it afterwards?

Yes, CP was configured in another single site and cloned across. It was working fine on the other site but I did install it.

Can you (or your hosting provider) double check please the folders/files permissions in your WP installation?

I checked with my provider and the permissions and we found not folders for sub domains. This might be the main issue. I had set the site up and configured the wp-config file to allow subs, but its showing as a /dir configuration. So I have to speak to the hosting 2nd level support people to find out whats going on here.

I can see that the last error involves the Siteground Cachepress plugin. Could you try to disable it and try CoursePress installation/activation once more?

I noticed that as well and removed it. I've not tested uploading a clone again, instead I installed afresh. But I will try again just to rule out the link to the Siteground Cachepress plugin and report back.

If this continues, please try to disable all other plugins, revert to a default theme and try one more time, just in case this is some kind of conflict.

I tried this and only had the WP Dashboard and Coursepress installed and activated, same issue.

Hope this fills in some gaps.

Cheers

Stephen

• Stephen

Everything was sort of fine but then this popped up on the sub site

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_39ft31pt83khjabn271418tb80, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php on line 13

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php:13) in /home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/includes/classes/class.session.php on line 13
  • Milan

Stephen ,

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

If you are on shared hosting, chances are there that you don't have access to /tmp directory which stores session data for WordPress site. So can you apply below solution and check ?
    http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/wordpress/fix-save-session-path-ecommerce-plugin

Let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:
    Best Regards,
    Milan

• Stephen

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look and feedback to the host about this while they are dealing with my case.

Interestingly they have confirmed they don't see any errors their end when they login with my details. Which then sparked a thought when they sent over instructions for emptying the Firefox cashe, simple enough. However, I'm using Chrome and see the errors, the host checked using Firefox, which I just logged in with and sure enough the errors don't show.

I've cleared the cashe multiple times to get rid of the error but why would the errors only show in Chrome?

I'm going to check on Safari and when I get my hands on a PC, Explorer and Edge.

• Dimitris

Hey there Stephen,

I really appreciate the cooperation here! :slight_smile:

I've cleared the cashe multiple times to get rid of the error but why would the errors only show in Chrome?

Do you use any plugins in Chrome that may interfere? You can always try to disable them and try again.
    I'll wait for your feedback on this for further testing/reproducing in my test end.

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• Stephen

Hi Dimitris

I passed the info Milan provided over to the host and they just came back confirming;

I set the PHP session.save_path directive to [REMOVED BY STAFF MEMBER] as per the provided article. I also set the correct permissions to this folder. Then I checked your Wordpress application in both Chrome and Firefox and I did not see any errors or warnings on your dashboard. I also see that the application saves properly the session files into the new folder:

I've logged into Chrome and checked and the error has been fixed :slight_smile:

Thank you guys for your support and time on this one.

As the site is a dev site with a plan to move the multisite over to the main client domain once completed I've informed the host it makes sense to add the changes to that domain (currently just a single site) in preparation for the move over.

Either way, I'm cloning the dev site now so I have a working version backup.

All the very best

Stephen

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.