Multisite Primary Site Produces 404

Hi Guys, I've got two WordPress installations running in sub directories on rackspace in /web and /events, the installation in /web is a standard WordPress installation but the one in /events is a multisite set-up. I've migrated the two sites to a new host this morning and everything works fine apart from the primary site for the multisite installation produces a 404 error, it's multisite children do not, they all work fine. When I visit the rooturl/events it produces a rooturl/web 404 error, am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks for any suggestions
Matt

• Sajid

Hello Matt,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Well the only thing I can think right now in this scenario is that some thing in .htaccess file is interfering with main site URL.

So first of all, please FTP to the root of your WordPress MultiSites, download the .htaccess file on your computer (for backup) and delete the one on your server. WordPress will attempt to create a new file for you automatically. Now reload the primary site and see if that solve this issue.

If you still need assistance, then please enable support staff access to your WordPress MultiSite so I could take a closer look.

To grant access go to WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Matt

Hi Sajid, I've tried to delete the current htaccess file but that stops all multisites from working and WordPress doesn't seem to auto recreate another, here's the htaccess file;

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /events/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

I can;t figure it out as it's working fine on the live site. I'm currently testing the site using the IP address of the new server in my hosts file, could this be effecting anything? it's a little odd though as I assume none of the multisite would work, not just the primary site...

Thanks
    Matt

• Sajid

Hello Matt,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Then .htaccess file seems good and as usual. Make sure you don't have any site or directory called events on your server. If it is then try to rename or delete and then check again.

Also, please share the full link of your website here and also enable support staff access so I could take a closer look.

To grant access go to WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Support Access or see this manual for more details regarding how to enable support staff access.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.