Multisite privacy - password option - confusing when used with custom authentication.

Plugin: Multisite privacy (this plugin was not listed in the dropdown so I just had to pick one)

We are using shibboleth authentication - users go to the main WP login page and we have a button there that tells them to login using their university ID if they have one. If they don't have one, they can login via the local WP authentication. The password option of multisite privacy uses the main login page which tells people to login using their university ID = which of course won't work...it's confusing. Do you have any suggestions for making this clearer? We could use CSS on the login page but I don't know if that would help.

• Leslie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Unfortunately we have the site locked down because we're in development and it's a firewall issue that I can't change. I've attached a picture of our home page though - not sure that will help you.

So, you are suggesting that maybe we could hide the UCSC login button but only when we're using the site password protection feature in the Multisite Privacy plugin?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Leslie,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

That's correct, depending on the code used to display your custom login button, we could use a conditional to check.

Would it be possible for me to view the code for the custom login you have setup?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Leslie
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Laura,

It was kind of painful. The plugin we used wasn't really designed for multisite so required some customization on our part in multiple areas - for example, it had the configuration on every single page so that site admin could adjust the settings for the entire network - can't remember if we fixed this in our patch or if the source code was fixed. We fixed the above issue with simple CSS on the login page. We had other issues with strange logout behavior - especially with mapped domains. I think we may have addressed all the issues at this point and it's working well. I don't have the details of what we did but if you end up going down this route I can contact my developer.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.