Multisite privacy plugin and how it finds the multisites

I am testing a multisite using multiple domains without domain mapping plugin. This is a subdirectory install domain.tld/site1 domain.tld/site2 and not using subdomains. The url of the multisite in 4.7.x, maybe earlier don't know, can be changed under network-sites editing to the actual domain that the server, in this case plesk, will route the domain into the main wordpress directory.

This is working great so far but there are strange things happening when using some wpmudev plugins. I network activated multisite privacy plugin but when I set it to make all users login to see the site and update the network it went into a loop. Showing me over and over "applying changes to sites 2 of 3. Anything I clicked did this.

I logged in with another domain that is routed to this installation deactivated the multisite privacy module and I could again us the main site. I then reactivated and the loop reappeared.

Do the multisite related plugins need to use domain.tld/site1, domain.tld/site2 etc ?
In this case site main, site2 site3 all have different qualified domains as the url.

This site has 4 sites with the following Site Address (URL) settings. Notice main and site 4 have the same base domain. The other 2 sites are completely different domains.
main
Site Address (URL) http://www.domain.tld
site 2
Site Address (URL) https://www.domain2.tld
site 3
Site Address (URL) https://www.domain3.tld
site 4
Site Address (URL) https://domain.tld/test04/

Could this cause problems with multisite plugins wpmudev offers?
Before we go down the road of access and testing could you ask developers ?

thank you

• Luís

Hi Lee ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Regarding to that issue (the update all sites loop) can you please enable the debug flags in your wp-config.php to check for errors. This will be important to us to understand why it have that behaviour?

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

It will be saved to a debug.log file inside the "wp-content" folder. Can you share it with us?

https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Note: Save the file as a .txt, because the .log extension is not allowed in the attachments.

From what I searched in the forums, nothing similar was reported, are you using other WPMUDev plugins in your network and having issues too?

Cheers, Luís

• Lee

[03-Feb-2017 16:46:09 UTC] [WPMUDEV API Error] 4.3 | cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 15001 milliseconds with 0 out of -1 bytes received ((unknown URL) [500])
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:10 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:21 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:33 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:33 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column 'active' in 'where clause' for query UPDATE 0cVc0s8b_blogs SET public = -1 WHERE blog_id != '1' AND active = 1 AND deleted = 0 AND spam = 0 made by do_action('update_wpmu_options'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, additional_privacy_site_admin_options_process
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:33 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:34 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:46:41 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:47:20 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4
    [03-Feb-2017 16:47:20 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; WDF_Gateway has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/vhosts/cngi.net/cngi.us/wp-content/plugins/fundraising/lib/classes/class.gateway.php on line 4

• Lee

Confirm:
    url ending: privacy_update_all_blogs=step&offset=3
    When I check this box
    Update All Sites
    Updates all sites with the default privacy setting. The main site is not updated. Please be patient as this can take a few minutes.

Goes into loop and debug.log gets the error

`

[03-Feb-2017 16:56:21 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column 'active' in 'where clause' for query UPDATE 0cVc0s8b_blogs SET public = -1 WHERE blog_id != '1' AND active = 1 AND deleted = 0 AND spam = 0 made by do_action('update_wpmu_options'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, additional_privacy_site_admin_options_process

• Luís

Hi Lee ,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

I am getting that database error too, I already flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap.

However, I am not sure if it can be the culprit to that "loop". Are you using any cache plugin? If yes, can you please temporarly disabled it?

Also, can you open your admin panel in a "private" window, or clear the cookies of your browser, to check if still have that issue?

Cheers, Luís

• Lee

Thanks for the reply.

1. The loop only occurs when trying to click Network menu items. Not loop continuous.
    2. The real question I ask was not answered. Is "Site Address (URL)" something to worry about with wpmudev plugins ? I was going to use membership2 plugin and stopped because of its multi site user and url blocking.

Do the multisite related plugins need to use domain.tld/site1, domain.tld/site2 etc ? In this case site main, site2 site3 all have different qualified domains as the url. (see complete info above)

• Luís

Hi Lee ,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and all the problems it may have caused.

Regarding to the database error, can you please try the hotfix sent attached:

1) Download the .zip file and unzip it;

2) Using FTP access, upload "sitewide-privacy-options.php" file to "/wp-content/plugins/sitewide-privacy-options" folder to override the default one.

Regarding to your second question, you should not have issues. The "loop" issue you mentioned with "Multisite Privacy" should not be related to your configuration, I think. However, can you share any example case where you got issues with Membership2 Pro, so I can try replicate it on my install?

Cheers, Luís

• Lee

I don't see any attachment or links to a zip file have you made a release?

Re-read what I ask above I have not tried to use membership2 on wp 4.7.x or php 7.1.x I want to know from developers if thye have it ready as well as anything else that works across sites in a multisite.

Multisite privacy db error bothers me to no end. How am I suppose to trust modules.

You have a multisite privacy module that does not have the right table info and claim it is ready for wp 4.7 or php 7.1.x what gives?

You should be listing ASAP modules that work and don't work. with wp and php versions.

• Luís

Hi Lee ,

I would like to apologize, I forgot to add the .zip file. I attached it now. Also, was added a fix to prevent the "loop" issue, that you mentioned in the beginning of this topic.

Our QA team always test the plugins in different PHP versions, to check if everything is working properly. However, if some issue is detected in a particular version of PHP, we will immediatly fix it, unless it is a very old version, however, it's not recommended, so, the user only have benefits (security, speed, etc) in upgrading PHP to the latest versions.

Regarding to Membership 2 Pro, it was designed to work site-by-site or network wide. So, you can protect content in a site basis ( if you want to let the subsite admins to set their rules), or use a content protection rules network-wide.

To use it on a network wide mode, you will need to add this constant to your wp-config.php file:

define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

• Lee

I have tried the patched version for this problem. It successfully activates and deactivates without problems. I checked to see if settings showed in the admin->settings>reading page and they do. I did not do any testing of actual use.

My test site is currently testing 3rd party communications, like paypal, and that don't work with multisite privacy blocking.

This plugins should be test more vigorously on your test bed. thank you.

----------------------------

Your statement

Our QA team always test the plugins in different PHP versions, to check if everything is working properly. However, if some issue is detected in a particular version of PHP, we will immediatly fix it, unless it is a very old version, however, it's not recommended, so, the user only have benefits (security, speed, etc) in upgrading PHP to the latest versions.

Your statement sounds wonderful but it has not been my experience since March 2016 when I joined. Just like this case in this ticket. Multisite Privacy was never activated and tested on WP 4.7 or I would not have this ticket open. You can't miss columns in a table errors if QA tested it.

This community should have timely testing details on each plugin such as testing dates, versions, WP versions, PHP versions etc. All in one place that we can easily viewed.

My goal, same as all your customers, is to save time and money by subscribing to services like this one. When something does not work that saving goes flying out the window. If I would have known that QA had not tested MultiSite Privacy plugin as of the date of this ticket I would not have this ticket open. That would save WPMUDEV time and money as well.

I do think testing and communication could and should be better.

------------------------------

You have not answered an important question and I have ask it twice above.

Do the multisite related plugins need to use domain.tld/site1, domain.tld/site2 etc ?
    In this case site main, site2 site3 all have different qualified domains as the url.

This site has 4 sites with the following Site Address (URL) settings. Notice main and site 4 have the same base domain. The other 2 sites are completely different domains.
    main
    Site Address (URL) http://www.domain.tld
    site 2
    Site Address (URL) https://www.domain2.tld
    site 3
    Site Address (URL) https://www.domain3.tld
    site 4
    Site Address (URL) https://domain.tld/test04/

Could this cause problems with multisite plugins wpmudev offers?
    Before we go down the road of access and testing could you ask developers ?

• Luís

Hi Lee ,

Firslty, I would like to apologize the extreme delay in the reply and all the problems it may have caused.

This community should have timely testing details on each plugin such as testing dates, versions, WP versions, PHP versions etc. All in one place that we can easily viewed.

I think this is a great suggestion and I just moved this to under our Features and Feedback section, so it can be taken into consideration.

Regarding to your question, the structure you are using is similar to the one provided by Domain Mapping, and it should not create issues with the plugins we offer to WordPress Multisite.

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.