Multisite privacy plugin conflict with BBPress

The latest upgrade to vs 1.1.8.3 conflicts with BBPress plugin 2.5.2. Non super-admin users lose access to all bbpress administration within their own sites with error "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

We're running wordpress 3.8 in a multisite environment, no buddypress.

I've reverted back to 1.1.8.1 of the multisite privacy plugin and is working with BBPress.

This conflict also happens with site-categories plugin vs 1.0.8.7, problem disappears if reverted back to site-categories 1.0.8.3

php error log gives this error only when newer version of wpmudev plugins are activated:
bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init().

• agreene
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Updates to Site Categories vs. 1.0.9.1 and Multisite Privacy vs. 1.1.8.4 have resolved the conflict with BBPress and the error: "bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly."

Unfortunately the above BBPress conflict and resulting error message has now been introduced in the latest versions of:
    - Admin Message vs. 1.1.1.2 (vs.1.1.1 works fine)
    - Google Analytics + vs. 3.1 (vs. 2.1 works fine)

Seems like there might be some common code across your plugins that needs updating, good news is it's been fixed in some of your plugins. Hope my bug tracking is useful.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @agreene,

Hope you're well today, thanks for the additional bug reports. I've also managed to replicate on my own site. :slight_smile:

I've just reported the issues to the developers! If you have any further issues please don't hesitate to ask.

We'll get those fixed up ASAP. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• agreene

Yes, the errors go away if you deactivate the WPMUDev plugins and just run BBPress. But as I indicated:

"Updates to Site Categories vs. 1.0.9.1 and Multisite Privacy vs. 1.1.8.4 have resolved the conflict with BBPress"

so Multisite Privacy is no longer an offender. The current plugins that are causing this error are:

- Admin Message vs. 1.1.1.2 (vs.1.1.1 works fine)
    - Google Analytics + vs. 3.1 (vs. 2.1 works fine)

Also, we've updated to wp 3.9.2 and are still encountering the problem with the above two plugins when run in conjunction with BBPress. Perhaps I should start a new thread under those plugin support areas?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @agreene and @S H Mohanjith,

I've done some further testing here and can replicate with just BBPress activated or any plugins.

Seems to be related to https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24169 Seems to be more of a core notice/warning, rather than specifically to our plugins, changing WP_DEBUG back to false allowed the site to work correctly.

@agreene Do you have the full path of where the warning comes from?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• agreene

Unfortunately activation of Admin Message or Google Analytics plugins breaks BBPress for site owners. The issue is that non-super admin users (site admins) lose the ability to create forums or topics in BBPress when the Admin Message or Google Analytics plugins are activated.
    To test:
    - login to a site as a site owner (non super admin)
    - note that when BBPress is activated in conjunction with Admin Message you lose the BBPress controls in the admin menu
    - deactivate Admin Message plugin and BBPress controls come back
    (I use 2 browsers to do this, one logged in as super admin to turn on/off Admin message, and the other logged in as the site owner to view the effects).

My test environment is as follows:
    - multisite 3.9.2
    - all other plugins disabled
    - does not appear to be theme dependent as twentyeleven and twentythirteen both show errors
    - I have tested this on 2 separate multisite installs with the same effect

Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in .../wp-includes/functions.php on line 3245

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @agreene,

I can confirm this on my own multisite.

When admin message or analytics are activated, the bbpress forums menus are no longer accessible in the dashboard to the subsite administrator.

Disable those plugins & owner can then access bbpress settings. All the bbpress menu items disappear & trying to access those pages gives a "You don't have permission to access this page" message.

As this is a thread for privacy plugin though and that issue has been resolved, would you mind opening another thread for the other 2 plugins, this way we can categorize them properly and have the relevant developers look into it.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.