Multisite Registration Form Setup Like Edublogs

Hi,

Ideally i'm looking to have someone register on for a site via my multisite in a similar fashion to edublogs:

1. User types a user name and password into a form
2. Subdomain site is automatically created based on the username
3. User is immediately redirected to their WP back end of their new site

I thought this would be very easy to accomplish and was the point of the multisite but i am starting to doubt my sanity at this late hour because it's turning out to be much more difficult that I could have imagined. I have purchased the gravity form + user registration add on, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

I set up the form here (click the orange button), https://childcare-provider.com/welcome/ it brings up a gravity form which i created for the above purpose. But when i test it, nothing seems to happen...at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

• Milan

Hello @Austin,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

I am not sure why you are not using Pro-Sites's checkout flow. Isn't it gives you same facility like edublogs site registration ? Its another thing is that edublogs registers user and site in 3 step process whereas Pro Sites does this in one steps.

If there are some specific reasons of not using Pro-Sites checkout flow, please let me know about them first.

Now if we talk about flow you want to implement which is,

1. User types a user name and password into a form
    2. Subdomain site is automatically created based on the username
    3. User is immediately redirected to their WP back end of their new site

then first of all, its kind of similar to Pro-Site checkout flow. I suggest you ride Pro-Site's checkout flow one time. Please go to Network Admin > Pro Sites > Settings > General > Checkout Page Identify checkout page, copy its url and open it up in incognito browser window and test it out.

Another thing, you'll need wild card domain entry registered on your host to use subdomain functionality. You can know more about this setup in this article https://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network#Domain-based. If its already setup then no worry we can move on with Pro-Site's checkout flow discussion. :slight_smile:

Thanks & With Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya

• Austin

Hi Milan and thanks for the response :slight_smile: I am a new member to the community and loving your and your teams support!

re: Gravity forms, I have been advised that I need this during a live chat session but I am hopeful that you're right and I don't.

With that being said, I did test the process via an private browser session. I think it's on the right track, but the page needs a better look and I'd like to customize the messaging as well. Ideally, I don't want people to leave this page to register, so is there a shortcode or something I can paste into a place on a different page? I'd like for the orange button to be clicked and the pop up contain the ability to register here: https://childcare-provider.com/welcome/

Also, yes there is something wrong with the subdomain functionality, I did setup wildcard dns, i'll attach a screenshot (and also a screenshot of the poorly formatted registration page and an FYI). If you can help diagnose that issue to i'd be very grateful!

THANKS

• Milan

Hello @Austin,

We are glad that you joined community and thanks a lot for your kind words about us. :slight_smile:

With that being said, I did test the process via an private browser session. I think it's on the right track, but the page needs a better look and I'd like to customize the messaging as well. Ideally, I don't want people to leave this page to register, so is there a shortcode or something I can paste into a place on a different page? I'd like for the orange button to be clicked and the pop up contain the ability to register here: https://childcare-provider.com/welcome/

Its really good news that Pro-Sites's default checkout flow helped you with your concern. :slight_smile: I am sorry but there isn't any shortcode which lets you shift singup form to another page as Pro-Sites is built on top of default wordpress site and user registration mechanism. Actually internally Pro-Sites uses WordPress's default mechanism for registering site and users and there isn't any shortcode provided which shifts whole registration process to another page rather than defined checkout page in Pro Site's settings page.

But there are certainly some tweaks you can do on checkout page's pricing tables :slight_smile: You'll see lots of customization facility available on Network Admin > Pro Sites > Pricing Tables > Styling page.( if you are using pricing tables :slight_smile: )

I can see in your attached screenshot that form is really messed up. But dear member that's because theme is not supporting some basic styles for signup form. If you test with default theme you'll see form being rendered well. So having that said, actually there is some tweaking we need to undertake to resolved this issue, Can you grant me support staff access so that I can identify your Pro-Sites checkout page and write some custom css for it. :slight_smile: If its okay to you then you can grant me support staff access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access

You've also said that you want your user to be able to register themselves through pop up opened by orange button click( screenshot and correct me if I am wrong ). Actually you'll be able to create popup which opens when user clicks on that button with our Pop Up Pro plugin but it won't be able to render Pro Sites's checkout form in it. But you can write some good content in popup with registration page link which encourages user to visit your register page. How about this ?

Now if we talk about DNS wild card subdomain issue, then first let me tell you its all related to host, it has nothing to do with Pro Sites. Pro Site only manages different site subscriptions, rest of the internal process ( i.e user registration, site creation, ) handled by word-press at core. So I suggest you follow up this nice codex article.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Configuring_Wildcard_Subdomains

If its still not working then ask your hosting to configure it for you to create on demand subdomains.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Again thanks for choosing us and letting us help with your issues. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan Savaliya

• Austin

Hi Milan,

Thanks very much for your message. I would be happy for you to make custom CSS ? Thanks! I have granted support access to my website, however I was not able to find a place to specifically grant you access. I think you can login though, can you let me know if I need to do something more?

I see, yes my theme must be wrong for a nice registration form. I’d like a similar look to my main page to keep it somewhat consistent if possible: https://childcare-provider.com/welcome/ . In reality, I wasn’t planning on using the theme, just using Optimizepress to build the pages I need. That’s how I made the welcome page.

Regarding a pricing table I don’t think I need a pricing table on the registration page, because I want to set it up just like edublogs in that:

1. User registers for a free site with the least amount of steps possible
    2. User has site created automatically, and sees the ability to upgrade for different plugins and themes only after they have created a free account

Perhaps the pricing table can be on another page, but not on the main registration page as I don’t want them thinking a lot about buying something, only about getting a free site, at that stage! ?

Thank you for the DNS information, I will work on this on my side with the host to solve this issue.

I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Austin

• Milan

Hello Austin,

I hope you are well today and thanks a lot for considering myself eligible for your points reward. I really appreciate your kind effort. :slight_smile: Again thanks !

So first let me let you how you can grant us support staff access. Usually you'll be able to grant us support staff access on single site installation via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access and on multisite installation via Network Admin > WPMU DEV > Support > Support Staff > Grant Access . I've attached screenshot for your visual help. please don't forget to refer it. :slight_smile:

Now I tried to view Pro Site's checkout page on your site but I was not able to sign up for new site. It keeps me redirecting back to same page again and again. I've checked all the necessary configurations on your end and those are well configured. So having this said, there may be some other plugin playing hide and seek here. To find that culprit please do conduct plugin conflict test as described in our support manual here, https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If you get your site signup page after playing a bit with plugin conflict test please let me know and also include theme name in which you want styling modifications as I can see there is more than 104 themes installed on your site. :wink:

Cheers and Have a pleasant time. :slight_smile:
    Milan Savaliya

• Austin

Hi Milan,

Re: granting access, i had previously done the steps in your screen shot. Do you have the access you need to troubleshoot fully?

Re: starting a new site, I'm a little confused by your message:

"It keeps redirecting me to the same page again and again"

I don't follow this. I tested signing up for a test site here: http://www.childcare-provider.com/wp-signup.php. Is this the page you can't get to?

Anyways, once I did that test, it seems like i was able to signup for a site. I will attached screen shots on the steps, for your reference.

I disabled all plugins and did a test site, and the exact same steps happened as in the screen shot.

There is still an issue with accessing the back end of the test site, but i am working with the host to resolve this.

As far as styling, I really just want a very simple sign up form that looks nice and modern and has the header and generally matches my main page: https://childcare-provider.com/welcome/ so i think this can be achieved with 2016 WP theme, very plain but just a sign up form and the same header as the welcome link for consistency.

Thanks, looking very much forward to your note. Would appreciate if you can respond sooner, having 1 day pass by in between each of your messages might make this take a very long time to fully resolve and i am anxious to move forward quickly.

Thanks!

• Milan

Hello @austinbenton1,

I am really sorry for taking longer time on this one, but you know Austin, we have been dealing with lots of critical threads since last week. We are trying our best to be on time for each member but some time we can't do this due to lack of time in clock. :wink:

Now thanks for pointing out page of singup process and explaining your requirement again. I've read some of the docs of Optimizepress and can conclude that it won't be possible to derive its page's header to another page. It will require lot of custom work to be done on the arena of html and css.

So at this point we only have option of css change in singup form. But as you are using wordpress default twentysixteen theme, your signup page is already well designed( also responsive ). So this is making me confuse as I am not able to judge some specific point for tweaking look via css.

Still I've kept your one point in mind and wrote this much css rules which will try to replicate your home page look to some extent. ( see screenshot of final look )

body div.site-inner{
    	background: #79aee7 !important;;
    	#ffca24
    }

p.submit input.submit{
    	background: #ffca24;
    }

div.mu_register.wp-signup-container{
    	color: #ffffff;
    }

Please test this out with the help of some css snippet manger like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Let me know if you need further tweaking. It will be great if you can just give me specific info about change ( i.e change title color to dark grey. )

With Gratitude and Warmest Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• Austin

Hi, thanks for this response and apologies for delay in getting back to you. I think I will try to use a plugin to style my registration form. I do like your but I want it to be smaller and a bit more updated vs the regular theme form. Perhaps that’s easier?

But I did have a couple questions on the registration form beyond just styling:

1. In the attached screen shot, how do I get rid of the “Just a username, please” option?
    2. In the attached screen shot, how do I remove the “select a template” option? I would like there to always just be a default option (ie not give them a choice like edu blogs).
    3. Once the person is registered, I’d like to redirect them to the back end of WP, not have a double opt in email (ie they have to check their email to complete registration.).

I will extend support in case you want to go inside my wp.

Thanks a lot!

• Milan

Hello @Austin,

I hope you are well today. :slight_smile:

1. In the attached screen shot, how do I get rid of the “Just a username, please” option?

You can hide that wit this bit of css code. :slight_smile:

input#signupuser {
    display: none;
    }

.mu_register label.checkbox[for="signupuser"] {
    display: none;
    }

2. In the attached screen shot, how do I remove the “select a template” option? I would like there to always just be a default option (ie not give them a choice like edu blogs).

You can disable this via Network Admin > Blog Templates > Settings > Uncheck checkbox saying "Show templates selection on registration"

3. Once the person is registered, I’d like to redirect them to the back end of WP, not have a double opt in email (ie they have to check their email to complete registration.).

This is default wordpress flow of registering user. Pro Site is not playing any game here. :slight_smile: Its just simple site subscription software. :slight_smile: But you can use our Remove Email Verification From Signup plugin to remove email verification at signup.

Cheers,
    Milan

• Austin

Hi Milan :slight_smile:

I'd like to update you on my progress and also ask you another question, please. Here is my registration page: http://childcare-provider.com/register/

I'm liking the look, but it is asking for a user name & an email. In edublogs, it asks for a username & password, with an optional email. Can you please tell me how to do this?

Also, instead of it saying "Create your account on Childcare Provider Websites" I would like it to say "Create your free childcare website"

I have extended access in case you need it :slight_smile:

Thank you very much.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Austin,

You registration page is currently showing only shortcode, it's not rendering it at all, did you disable plugin responsible for this shortcode?

In Pro Sites changing email field with password field is not possible without some custom changes to plugin files.
    If you need to customize this then you can post a job in our job board where you can hire a developer to assist further:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/
    Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the job board.

Also, instead of it saying "Create your account on Childcare Provider Websites" I would like it to say "Create your free childcare website"

Have you tried using our Ultimate Branding plugin and its text change module to change this part?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.