Multisite SmartCrawl Homepage META Settings Using UpFront

It is seems that, when using UpFront, there is no way to customize the homepage's META. Right now the <title> is simply the default setting in the plugin network configuration, or %%sitename%%, and the page description is the site's tag line.

I was advised to open a ticket, that this might be a feature needed to be added.

• Michael Bissett

Hey TNNVTR, Michael here!

There is a way of adjusting both the title & description for the home page, inside of the "Title & Meta" tab:

I take it you're wanting to edit the home page's description for only this one site on the network? If so, you'll need to make sure that "Show this to Site Admins" is set to Yes:

And that you afterwards insert this into your site's wp-config.php:

define( 'WDS_SITEWIDE', false );

Any settings tab that's available to site admins (via that setting I mentioned) will now be displayed on individual subsites, rather than being available inside of the Network Dashboard.

You'll then be able to adjust the homepage's meta description for a subsite by going into the subsite's dashboard, and heading over to:

Settings -> SmartCrawl -> Title & Meta

Kind Regards,
    Michael

P.S. I tested out both methods laid out here, and am finding them both to work for me when I have the Parrot theme active, I saw you'd mentioned using that theme in the ticket you'd asked about this in.

• TNNVTR

Michael,

Yes, thanks a bunch, it works! :grinning:

QUESTIONS

1. It is great and necessary to make individual site adjustments. However, the settings I had in the administration do not seem to apply to individual sites. In other words, the plugin defaults applied instead of the networks custom settings.

2. Because I cannot see the configuration page for the network administrator anymore, will it be safe to uncomment the wp-config.php line, make adjustments (i.e. add the Moz tab) and then revert everything back? Will we lose site's individual configurations?

3. In plain English, what does this really mean and do?

define( 'WDS_SITEWIDE', false );

4. I see the sitemap.xml under wp-content/uploads/sites/my-site/sitemap.xml and the path is correct under the Sitemap tab in SmartCrawl. However, it defaults to the network domain and not the site's domain. I have Hummingbird enabled but I am not sure this is the problem.

Thanks,

TNNVTR

• Michael Bissett

Hey TNNVTR, apologies for the delay on this one!

#1: Yep, the settings for subsites would be separate from the network settings, and would need to be configured separately.

#2: You're safe to do that, you won't lose the individual subsite configurations. :slight_smile:

#3: In plain English:

WDS_SITEWIDE = "Is SmartCrawl configured from the Network Dashboard, or from each subsite?"
    true = Network Dashboard
    false = Each subsite

#4: This would be one we'd want to tackle in a separate thread, if you could open a new one here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

And mention the subsite in question on your Multisite (and ensure that Support Access is enabled), that'd be great. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.