Multisite, SSL, CDN, Kinsta

Hello,

I have a couple questions regarding a switch I'm thinking about making. Here's my current situation:

• Multisite Install - (subdomain not folder)
• Domain Mapping Plugin
• Several mapped domains (ie client.me.com shows up as client.com)
• Subpar hosting (Bluehost)
• No CDN
• Host level caching

I'm considering a switch to a faster host with better support. Your review of Kinsta pointed me in their direction. Ideally I'd like to see these things:

• Faster loading times
• SSL Certificates for every website on the network (https://client.com NOT https://client.me.com)
• Better support and response times when things break

I've read through a ton of support articles and tickets from other users. It seems that SSL can be integrated either on a per site basis (with individual SSL certs and SNI) or with a Multidomain SSL cert. But which is the better option? Is there a preferred method?

Once setup, how does that integrate with a service like MaxCDN or Cloudflare? Are one of these services better than the other? How does this piece of the puzzle fit in? Will it even be necessary with a host like Kinsta?

Thanks in advance for your help, just trying to piece this whole thing together. I'm also open to other suggestions or advice to accomplish the goals I listed above.

Thank you!

• Rupok

Hi kyhaas,

It seems that SSL can be integrated either on a per site basis (with individual SSL certs and SNI) or with a Multidomain SSL cert. But which is the better option? Is there a preferred method?

It totally depends on your architecture and it's really tough to draw an outline to declare one as better. But as you are using WordPress multisite, I'd go for Multidomain SSL if I were in your shoes. Please note, this is totally my personal opinion. I'd go for Multidomain SSL because renewing is easier and you will have to configure it only once to bring all your sites under SSL. You will still have to configure your system in such a way so all subsites use SSL certificate from WordPress end. But at server end, you configure that Multidomain SSL certificate once and you are done.

how does that integrate with a service like MaxCDN or Cloudflare? Are one of these services better than the other? How does this piece of the puzzle fit in? Will it even be necessary with a host like Kinsta?

It again depends on what you want to achieve. For some setup, MaxCDN is the better choice, for some other setup, Cloudflare will work better. So I can't actually say which one will be better for you. And I don't have any personal experience with Kinsta and that's why, I can't say if you will need a host like Kinsta.

However, if you want, I can move this thread to our Members' Forum so you can discuss this with our thousands of members. I believe many of them have experience with these and can suggest you better with real life examples. Please confirm if you want me to move this thread to our Members' Forum.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.