Multisite, Sub Domain and SEO

Greetings!

I have a couple of questions to ask. First, in order to have a sub domain name like blog.yoursite.com, do I need to have multisite installed? In order to make blog.yoursite.com to work?

Second, which one would be more effective in page ranking if I have blog.yoursite.com or yoursite.com\blog? Will that make any difference?

Thanks,

Brad

• karks88
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

To answer your first question, you don't need to have multisite installed to have a subdomain. The process for creating a subdomain really depends on your web host. Some have an automated way to create one in their account control panel, others may require a little bit more work. You'll want to contact their support department to find out exactly how to go about it.

I'm not an SEO expert so I won't attempt the second part :wink:

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hello Brad!

First, in order to have a sub domain name like blog.yoursite.com, do I need to have multisite installed? In order to make blog.yoursite.com to work?

Yes! and you will need to enable wildcard subdomains with your host, you should be able to find some documentation with them on that.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

Second, which one would be more effective in page ranking if I have blog.yoursite.com or yoursite.com\blog? Will that make any difference?

Sub-Domain structure is more SEO friendly for your entire network. Your site will be considered more or less separate domains if you go subdomain route :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• Bradley
    • Flash Drive

Hi Kim,

I followed the instruction you provided me the link and apparently, it's not working somehow. When I created (the sub domain for blog already created in the control panel) the new site from the wordpress dashboard (Add New Site page) and all I got is Missing or invalid site address. I had "blog.yoursite.com" down.

I had wp-config and htaccess updated. I also created mu plugins under the wp content folder.

I don't know what else is missing here. Do I need to have the DNS wildcard to do that? I am not sure how does that work and do I need to tell the tech support to set up the DNS wildcard at blog.yoursite.com or the primary site? The tech support rep asked me to install wordpress at the subdomain and I told him that I wasn't sure about that and I don't think that we need to install another wordpress platform at the sub domain when multiside network does that, right?

Your help is greatly appreciated and thanks!

Brad

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@bapjo4

Hi there unfortunately Kim is no longer with Dev and moved on to pastures new, so I am picking up her tickets.

Ok some questions and a few answers.

1) have you create the blogs.dir folder?
    2) You need to speak to your host and get a wild card dns subdomain record setup

so basically *.yourdoman.com

cheers

Tom

• Bradley
    • Flash Drive

Hi Tom,

I didn't get blog.yourdomain.com to work properly.

I've followed the instruction exactly what Kimberly provided me a link to follow instruction.

But a quick question...

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.yourdomain.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

This is what I have in my wp-config.php file. A question is, am I supposed to change from false to true for "define('subdomain_install', true);

I want the blog to be at blog.yourdomain.com and the main website will be about events.

Please advise and thanks,

Brad

• Bradley
    • Flash Drive

Hi Tom,

I changed define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false); to define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true); and nothing has happened.

define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/'); <--- is this for the directory?
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); <---- is this for a number of multi domain and sub domain that can add up 2, 3, 4 and etc
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); - is this for the blog that can have many blogs 2,3,4 and etc?

So I suppose that I need to change

define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 'blog.yourdomain.com');

Curious...

define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 'ca.yourdomain.com')
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 'au.yourdomain.com')

Is this how it goes when I add many countries to the sub domain in this script?

Thanks,

Brad

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hi @bapjo4

Can you confirm that 100% you have a wildcard subdomain set up in DNS, if not sure speak to your host.

define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/'); <--- is this for the directory? yes
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); That's also correct
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); yes

define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 'blog.yourdomain.com'); no you need the actual id number

For the multiple domains you mention at the you need to install our multidomain plugin.

Cheers

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.