Multisite Subdomain Issue

Dear Support Team,
Thank you for providing such a great service. I have recently installed Multisite at Wordpress with the main domain bluestrategies.org. I have tried to setup the subdomain music.bluestrategies.org but this is redirecting to bluestrategies.org website. I use CloudFlare to manage my DNS, use SSL and manage my server through Plesk.

Furthermore, in my multisite admin panel, this is the URL that I have for my music.bluestrategies.org admin panel: https://bluestrategies.org/wp-admin/network/music.bluestrategies.orgwp-admin/

This is not resolving properly and I have gone through all guides.

My .htaccess

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

My wp-config

define('WP_DEBUG', false);
define('MULTISITE', true);
define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'bluestrategies.org');
define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
define('COOKIEPATH', '');
define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');
  • Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Nicolas-

Please remove your .htaccess content and replace it with this.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

If you would like for us to take a closer look into it, we will need you to grant us temporary support access to your website so we can have a better look of your setup and settings. You can grant us access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin, there's no need to share credentials. Here's our detailed documentation page about it:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

We'll wait for your confirmation reply here, as we don't get any notification when a member is granting us support access. We could then dig in and further investigate this!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Nicolas Frichot
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Dear Ken,

Thank you so much for such a fast and dedicated support. I have granted the support access from the Dashboard and applied the changes to the .htaccess content. I would sincerely appreciate If you could look into it. Thanks a lot. -Nicolas

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Nicolas-

I need to further access the problem. Gaining FTP access would be ideal for fast troubleshooting.

We can go with the alternate method of access...
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    Please visit our private Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: Ken Kimbrell"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

I will privately receive the contents of the message and can further access the problem for you.
    I also need access to your cpanel, so I can see how you setup the subdomain. Thanks!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Nicolas-

I think the problem resides in how you set up the subdomain in your cpanel. You need to make sure that when you created the subdomain that it either has the same subdomain name that you entered in wordpress when creating the site. For example if your entered music.mysite.com in the dashboard, then in your cpanel the subdomain you add needs to be music and the domain needs to be mysite and your root folder needs to point to the where your wordpress install resides. You can also put an asterisk * for the name of the subdomain. This is a wildcard and will allow you to add subsites to your network with ease. See image below:

Let me know how this works for you!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Nicolas-

I was successful in creating 2 new sites and being able to access the dashboard by disabling the HTTPS plugin that you have. There seems to be a major conflict or you do not have the configurations set correctly that is preventing you from being redirected to the dashboard. I still, even after fixing the url path was unsuccessful in getting your music.yoursite.org to work completely.

You can access all subsites if prompted to login by using your super admin login credentials.

Let us now how we can help!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

• Nicolas Frichot
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Wow, this is outstanding. Thank you so much. I have deleted music.bluestrategies.org and created label.bluestrategies.org. But it does not appear in the dropdown menu under the My Sites menu in the top bar. Could you please show me how you correctly set up Testing1 or Testing2 or if you have any link, rest assured that I will make the necessary efforts to go in details through it.

Thanks again. I am forever grateful. And please do let me know if there is any way I can return the favor.

Sincerely,

-Nicolas

• Ken Kimbrell
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Nicolas-

In order to have your sites appear in the dropdown of the admin bar. Once creating the new subsite, you must assign the super-admin email address to that site. Then it will appear in the dropdown. The reason it is set up that way, is because if you had clients with multiple subsites you wouldn't want them bogging up your dropdown. So, only YOUR sites associated with the mighty super admin email will be displayed :slight_smile:

Your subdomain is set up with a wildcard, you can create subsites with breeze now. No need to go in and add individual subdomains within the cpanel. I also set up your Domain Mapping, so when you are ready to map a domain to a subsite, just go to this very informative WPMU post called The Ultimate Guide to Domain Mapping with WordPress and Multisite and you will find that you are ready to take your multi-site platform to the next level :slight_smile:

Happy Developing!

Take Care,

Ken - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.