Multisite subscriber role

I'm a bit unclear about roles for subscribers.
I want a simplified admin menu for subscibers, on their subsite. But when I modify then menu and remove certain items, they are then removed from my own menu, and I can't find any other way to access those items.
It appears I may be able to make subscribers 'Editors' instead of 'Administrators', but then I'm under the impression they don't have permission to upgrade their account, etc.

Can I get some clarification on how to simplify their admin menu without limiting the acces I have, but still allowing subscribers to do whatever other actions they may need to do?

• Rupok

Hi Mac, hope you had a wonderful day.

If I understood your query right, you can change what a specific role users can do, with this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

when I modify then menu and remove certain items, they are then removed from my own menu, and I can't find any other way to access those items

Can you please describe how you were removing menus? I could tell you better if I knew the procedure you are trying.

It appears I may be able to make subscribers 'Editors' instead of 'Administrators', but then I'm under the impression they don't have permission to upgrade their account, etc.

You don't need to make subscribers "Editors". Rather you can use "User Role Editor" plugin I mentioned above to change their capabilities.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hi Mac,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

For example, I want to remove the 'Settings' admin menu option for subscribers. But I don't want it to disappear for me. Also I want to remove the 'CustomPress' admin menu for subscribers, but I still want them to get the custom types that I've defined.

You could try the admin menu editor plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-menu-editor/
    Once the plugin is network activated, you can hide or remove the dashboard menus for each subsite, thus only making the superadmins have all the access.

Also, the role options in the plugin are subscriber, editor, author, contributor, but when someone registers for a site they are administrator.

In a multisite, when a user registers, and creates a subsite, he becomes the admin of his blog. On the other hand, when a user register without creating any site, he get's a default subscriber role assigned. That's how multisite works by design. The plugin only changes the default subscriber role.

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.