Multisite: Subsites are not displaying

I have installed multisite at bluehost. I followed the instructions to edit .htaccess, etc. and I added a wildcard A record to point my main domain (www.steeltealgym.com). The problem comes when I add a new site (test.steeltealgym.com). WPMU acts as if it was a success however, I get a "404: File Not Found" when I try to access it. It seems that WPMU isn't able to create the subdomain. Any suggestions? I'm struggling!

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @steelteal,

Do you have a dedicated IP address? This scenario would require one. With a dedicated IP, the server can route all incoming requests to the same site.

Wordpress can't actually create a subdomain, but what it does is watch the URL. It can recognize what URL a visitor is using, and will pull up the appropriate site. The wildcard DNS settings allow all subdomains to reach your Wordpress installation.

It looks like you might not have a dedicated IP. In this can you can do a workaround, but you will need to create each subdomain individually in cPanel, and point it to the folder of your main Wordpress installation.

Best regards,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.