MultiSite wild card sub-domians seems empty

On one of my personal websites the database says the *folder is empty, but on my clients site the data base dosent even have the *folder. Both use the same host provider, the same Multisite enabler plugin was used, and both are set up with *domians. Why is one not showing up in the data base and the other shows up, but is empty? The empty one should have over 3200 sites in it.

• Timothy Bowers

I suspect the file card is not set up correctly.

The wild card needs to fall to your websites root folder, if it doesn't then chances are you will see some cpanal page, a blank folder, that sort of thing.

How do you have the wild card setup?

For the quickest resolve it might be best contact your hosting provider, it should only take them a few moments.

Let me know how you get on.

Take care.

• Mark Wallace

I just set it up by making a subdomain with "*" Minus the " ". I am confused by the fact that both multisite installs have multiple site that function. Could you explain the
    **The wild card needs to fall to your websites root folder, if it doesn't then chances are you will see some cpanal page, a blank folder, that sort of thing.** a little differnetly like: " The wild card needs to fall to your websites root folder" if looking at the subdomians in c-panel would i see " * ".
    I have 3 domians do i get a little confused with all the mtb1701.com
    the. we4fun.com, then we4fun.com.mtb1701 lol i'm getting confused explianing it.

Also the "if it doesn't then chances are you will see some cpanal page, a blank folder" is this in my file manager, or where ever else i should be asking about. lol
    And Timothy! Thanks for your help with my dashboard the other day. You went above and beyond with the C-panel and FTP set up. Thank You!

• Timothy Bowers

And Timothy! Thanks for your help with my dashboard the other day. You went above and beyond with the C-panel and FTP set up. Thank You!

You are most welcome! :slight_smile:

This wild card. Are you setting it up with an IP address? or are you trying to use a CNAME?

A Record (IP Address) would need to be pointing to your WordPress install, so you enter the IP in your browser and you then see your WordPress site. If not, it won't work.

This is also what I mean by fall upon. When you enter the address in the address bar on your browser (any address *.domain.com) you should see your WordPress site. If not then its not set up correctly.

I hope that makes it clearer?

Take care.

• Mark Wallace

Ok! When i type in www.*.mtb1701.com i get a page not found; but if i type in a site like classifieds.mtb1701.com it takes me to the site.
    When i set the multisite up i just went to subdomians in my c-panel and created the */mtb1701 It shows up a * the the box next to it says public_html, does this help explian it? I didnt do anything with an ip address, because i don't have a dedicated ip; so i didnt think it would be wise to do so. How can i fix this without having to redo all 3200+ website that are set up as subdirectories, "ohh binkles" I didnt mention that i used sub-directories; does this make a differeance? "what should i do besides start drinking"?

• Mark Wallace

i compared my wp-config.php to wendev multisite tutorial this is what mine says:
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    define ('MULTISITE', '1');
    define ('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', '1');
    define ('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'mtb1701.com');
    define ('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define ('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define ('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    $base = '/';

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

The tutaorial says to type: define(‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true); Above the thats all happy bloging.
    So does the new version of wordpress use (multisite, '1'); and not (multisite, 'true');
    Also since i am using subdirectories i guess its safe to delete the wildcard domian?
    I'm probably going to have some .htaccess file questions; but i will wait for a response on the above first. That way it will be easy for other to follow in the future.
    "Hey Tim! Ya want a part time gig?" lol

• Mark Wallace

Ok! I had my host provider check everything out. They it is all installed just fine. I will include highlight of their email just incase anyone should have the same trouble.

"I would like to clarify how wildard domains work. What this does is allow any subdomain to be valid. I mention to clarify that you are not using *mtb1701.com and *holytruth.org in your browser as this would the error received.

Additionally, in PHP the numbers 1 and 0 are often used in place of true and false. 1 is true and 0 is false

For editing your .htaccess, The issue was probably related to not having checked Display Hidden(dot) files when opening the File Manager." Hope this helps someone out; it had me up for 24hrs. lol Good night!

• Christopher Price

It would be a lot easier to help if you could share a domain or a screen shot.

As your host stated, the "*" will never be a part of a URL, it is a configuration function. If you are using subdomains, it will always appear as http://subdomain.domain.tld from the public side. On the other hand, if you are using subdirectories, no wildcard (i.e. "*") configuration is necessary and it would appear as http://domain.tld/subdomain/ I don't think it makes much difference, but I prefer using the wildcard subdomain method.

.htaccess is an invisible file (as is any filename that begins with a period) that can be in any of your hosted directories to provide configuration details that apply to the directory it is in. Yes, every directory CAN have it's own, but usually you only need one in the public_html directory of a WordPress installation. Your FTP app or the "File Manger" in cPanel should have the option toggle to show/hide invisible files.

• Mark Wallace

Hi Christopher
    I am wondering how you change you logo-login.png. I do it via file manager. I also make my child themes there as well. Do you have a way to do it through the Admin Dashboard. If so, that would be kewl to know. One time I was deleting some old subdomians i used for testing drupal installs, i got confused about how the public_html worked; lol I deleted 3 of 5 websites before i realized what i had done. I got mad and decided to sleep before doing a reinstall via my host company. That night they backed up my database. ROFL. So any advice to keep me out there would be nice. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.