Multisite with buddypress and domain mapping problem

Wordpress 3.3.1; multisite and buddypress
Buddypress 1.5.3.1 with BuddyPress Fun Theme 1.5.3.1
Domain Mapping 3.0.7

Buddypress root blog = #2

Everything seems to be working pretty well except that we want to use a different domain for Blog #2. I have the domain pointing and the domain mapping takes you to the correct site, but the registration/fign-up is not linked. Or any of the social media statistics (ie. facebook like/google +1 stats) showing that exist on site when not mapped.

• antKat

1. No I have not installed Domain Mapping in the mu-plugins folder, In is installed in wp-content/plugins and the sunrise.php is in wp-content folder. That is what the installation instructions specify. Are you saying that I should put in the mu-plugins folder?

2. I changed the administration mapping and menus to "mapped domain" but it did not make any difference. Also, even as an admin, I must log-in again to access the mapped site rather than it be seamless as typical network multisite installation.

• Kimberly

antKat,

The answer to your question depends on what you are trying to acheive. Are you using two separate installs of wordpress? In other words is blog #2 a separate install from blog #1? or is it a subsite from the root install?

1. Should a mapped domain function the same as any of the subsites on a multisite - or is some functionality/behaviour different?

Domain Mapping is changing the url that the user sees or uses. I shouldn't affect functionality of the site. Esp if it's a subsite.

I found this thread very informative in breaking down the basics for me, maybe you will too: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/what-is-the-difference-between-domain-mapping-and-a-redirect-in-beginners-terms

Best,

Kimberly

• antKat

Thanks KimberlyL,
    1. I was not using the www prefix (although the www prefix is still so confusing - when is it ever needed?

2. I have one install of wordpress setup as a multisite (ridgerocker.com) with buddypress on root_blog id=2. http://ridgerocker.com/ridgerockers We've subsequently renamed the buddypress subsite to "Underground". We purchased the domain: ridgerockerundergound.com and want to domain map to ridgerocker.com/ridgerockers.

The setup only works to the point of redirection, in other words, when the domain mapping plugin is activated, the site appears to be ridgerockerunderground.com - BUT

a. the sign-up/register links do not work (its not a broken link such as a "can't find") but rather just does nothing.

b. Also, when I'm logged into the network as an admin and want to go to the admin of the domain mapped site (ridgerockerunderground.com) , I have to re-log in.

Is a & b normal for a domain mapped site?

I read through the link you provided. I am not having the same problem. The domain mapping does "map" to the correct subsite

• Timothy Bowers

Yup, I updated the Domain Mapping instructions. Just done the Event ones as well. So if there are any mistakes in them then you can absolutely, 100% blame Mason, he checked em over for me. ha ha. :wink:

2. I changed the administration mapping and menus to "mapped domain" but it did not make any difference. Also, even as an admin, I must log-in again to access the mapped site rather than it be seamless as typical network multisite installation.

Choosing the mapped domain, will mean the clientdomain.com. There is no single signon there, so you do need to log in there seperately.

There is cookie syncing, this is between clientdomain.com and clientsubsite.yourdomain.com thats what allows you to control the admin area of a sub site with the mapped domain.

1. I was not using the www prefix (although the www prefix is still so confusing - when is it ever needed?

Its never needed, WordPress no longer uses it. Its an old sub domain which was used back in the dark ages. Like you needed http://ftp.domain.com mail.domain.com and a few others to handle specific services. Well non of those should be needed any longer with modern set ups. :slight_smile:

a. the sign-up/register links do not work (its not a broken link such as a "can't find") but rather just does nothing.

Which theme are you using there?

By default all registrations are actually made at the main website. Plugins like our Membership and Gravity Forms can alter that through custom forms. The theme might have its on form? Links to the default signup? Or something other?

Is a & b normal for a domain mapped site?

B is normal, as I just mentioned. its how the Domain Mapping plugin works.

If you only want the one login for admin then use:

Original Domain – As it says, the original domain. So that would be clientsite.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/

As it explains, the admin are will allow you to use the original subdomain and thus keep you logged in. :slight_smile:

Take care.