Multisite WP starting up...not.

Hello,

I'm a total novice in WP. I taught myself html when it was still in version 1, and ran a couple of networks in an academic setting, but that was back before the internet was known by anyone other than a few folks in universities. I had someone set up a site for me on WP, and discovered that there was a multisite version. Since I want to run another site, having a single install made sense to me. I seem to have created it, but now everything refuses to work. So, I don't know. I can get into the site, but I can't seem to configure or run anything. When I tried to start setting up the new site, and apply a different theme to it than the one my existing site uses, it tried applying the new theme to the existing site, and the new site still isn't accessible. I was able to undo that by disabling the theme and flushing the cache for my existing wp site.

So, what do you need to ask me, as I know I've offered only anecdotal info and no specifics. I tried rewriting the .htaccess as described, and that doesn't seem to have worked.

Purplexed in Philly,

Eoghan

• Eoghan
    • Flash Drive

@zyniker: I can provide plenty of screenshots. Simply wanted to provide what might actually be needed. Here are shots of my .htaccess and wp-config files. If screenshots of any directories would help, let me know what you want.

@Bilzy: I am attempting to activate multrisite, not single. I have one site running and another which will virtually be unrelated to the first. I assumed that there was no reason to go to the trouble of having my provider run wildcards for a subdomain based system, and they appear to have apache mod_rewrite properly configured.

Basically, I don't seem able once I go into the multisite dashboard to access the dashboard for my second wp site and the error message I get from my service provider when I try to access the dashboard is a standard 404 oops, site not found. When I go to "view" that site, I get the "this domain is being parked at this location awaiting development" or words to that affect.

So, I am assuming that there's something wrong in the configuration, and not that I am simply too dumb to know how to use the multisite wp dashboard. That could be the case, but I don't think this is the proof of it.

What else do you need? And oh, many, many thanks!

Eoghan

• Eoghan
    • Flash Drive

Getting any subsite to configure seems to be the problem. My second site is to be

http://modernrite.com

However, when I try to set up, at least initially the path for:

http://modernrite/gnosticreiki.com, which seems to be what it wants me to use, I can't really get anything to work. And when I try to associate the theme I have "network activated" it won't show it and gives me the message that only installed themes can be used, network activated themes will not be shown.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

You seem to have activated subdirectory architecture.

So if you have installed it on site.com then the subdirectory subsite will be like site.com/subsite.

So, we have to check it step by step.

Are you able to access the main site dashboard where you installed multisite ? If yes, then navigate to My sites >> Network Admin >> Sites and see if you have got the subsites listed there and try to visit a subsite dashboard.

You need to remove define ('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE, true') ; from the WP config file

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• Eoghan
    • Flash Drive

Greetings,

I can access the dashboard for my original site through the Network Asdmon-My sites- path but if I try to do so for the second site, I get the 404 error page. I also should note an interesting thing. Earlier, I could see the paths in the listing shown below. Now I cannot.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey @Eoghan

Yer that looks really weird compared to my version of MS.. In the path column I've got lowercase url slugs for the site.

ie
    main
    sub1
    sub2
    sub3
    .etc

Can you click edit on one of those sites. and take a screen shot of in there. (make it the sub site)..

Second thing is, try to create a new sub site called 'test' sometimes trying fresh helps to resolve problems.

Cheers,
    Billy

• Eoghan
    • Flash Drive

I tried creating a new test site, called /test/. It appeared to be properly created and I receive the confirmation email. However, when I try to visit either the dashboard for that site or the site itself, I get the following message:

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Not too sure looking at the frontend, perhaps consider switching to sub-domains see if you have the same problem...

I always use subdomains because it allows for less problems with url permalinks on the main site. I had a number of problems when I tried a folder based subsites install so now I only use subdomains.

I've found sub domain install to be more Google friendly for various reasons.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Setting up WordPress is pretty easy but setting up multisite can be a pain if even a small thing goes wrong.

I can happily have a look at the setup and have a closer look to see what is going on but I am gonna need access to the super admin, FTP and the domain control panel to see what is going on. Please let me know if you are okay to share those details with me :slight_smile:

However, if there is no data on the site and you are okay to wipe it clean and reinstall, I reckon you should do it.

Cheers, PC

• Eoghan
    • Flash Drive

Sorry for not responding earlier. I've been under the weather. I did email, and indicated that I need to know what folder I should designate for my provider to point a couple of domain wildcards at. I have one already for my main site, but I have a secondary site I would like to construct with a different domain. Should I make a subfolder for this and tell them to point it at that, before changing the config to subdomain rather than subdirectory, or what?

As for your support, I again apologize for not having logged back in over the past half week or so, it has been exceptionally engaged and helpful. I really appreciate it a great deal! Many thanks. I would rate it as being top notch!

Eoghan

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for posting back and for the nice words :slight_smile:

Should I make a subfolder for this and tell them to point it at that, before changing the config to subdomain rather than subdirectory, or what?

If you are hosting multiple domains under one hosting, then you will have separate dns for all the domains. As far as Wildcard dns is concerned, its just a A record pointing to your site IP address.

So it can be like

*.yoursite.com x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is your sites IP address.

and the same will have to be done under the DNS settings of all the domains you want to use WordPress multisite on.

Does that help ?

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.