My Courses are completely munged on the Courses page in my

My Courses are completely munged on the Courses page in my chosen theme - the title isn't even showing.

What's the general workaround? Copy the style.css for the CoursePress theme into the Custom CSS field for my theme?

Thanks!

Michelle Shull

Hey there, ken! Happy Friday!

"Munged" is a new word for me, and I think I like it!

Which theme are you using? Does it have a page builder/visual design tool?

Ultimately, your best bet will be to merge the template files for CoursePress with your theme's template files, so you get all the CoursePress elements, but in a way your theme understands and can display properly.

I think copying the CSS will have some unexpected results.

That being said, we may be able to adjust some CSS on your current course pages and bring things back in line, depending on exactly what your theme is doing to munge them. Can you link me to a CoursePress page so I can take a closer look?

Thanks, ken!

ken_lyle

Hey Michelle!

I am using TeslaThemes Zero, which does come with Visual Composer, but I haven't touched any pages, I am just trying to get the out of box bits functional.

I did grant Support Access, so please do let me know what you find/suggest.

I did a quick test, and the Course list and drill down pages seem to work and lay out almost exactly like they do in the custom theme, in WP 2013.

I also see what you mean about Visual Composer. I chose the theme because it's flexible, but also because I thought that VC might be easier for my client. Turning off VC shows all the VC shortcodes on the screen. Some plugins have their own shortcodes, and those page parts could be reconstructed without VC, but that would trash some of the drag and drop whizziness.

Thanks!

Michelle Shull

Hey again, ken!

Visual composers are a bit of a double-edged sword - on the one hand, they can make whipping up a fancy landing page really easy, even if one doesn't know CSS from RSS. On the other hand, they really lock site-owners in, if you've got 10k posts you built with a page builder and that page builder is suddenly discontinued, you've got 10k posts to edit shortcodes out of.

They're so tempting, especially if you're working with a client who wants/needs an easy button. The issue is that it's only an easy button in the short term, it can easily become an OMG SO COMPLICATED button, too. It's definitely worth weighing the pros and cons, and there are plenty of folks who can get by just fine if their sites are using visual composers.

Here's the rub: The visual composer is going to make it a lot harder to merge the template files between CoursePress and your theme. Between how CoursePress creates elements, your theme handles scripts, and the visual composer bits, we've got a bit of a (im)perfect storm for making this all work together.

Anyway, now that I've written you a thesis on visual composers, let's try to find an alternative for you.

My idea: This is currently a single site, right? What if we did a multisite, instead? Your primary site could keep the current theme/composer set up, and you'd use a single sub-site to run CoursePress. The two sites are still connected, and we could use a new stylesheet on the CoursePress site to make the default CoursePress theme look like it coordinates with the theme on your primary site. This would give you the best of both worlds - your client gets a visual composer, you get to keep your theme, and CoursePress can run in it's own little bubble, away from any theme/composer related issues.

Would that work, or is that too much for the client?

Thanks, ken!

ken_lyle

Thanks very much, Michelle.

As you can see, I was thinking multisite. It actually works for some other reasons, too.

However, it might make membership access to the Coursepress courses messier. Could you lay out how that might work?

I would think that I can't actually control access to a different subdomain, but if Membership is network installed and we use that user syncing plugin you guys have....can you confim that as a valid strategy?

Maybe free content should be on the main site, and paid content should be on the subdomains, including the Coursepress subdomain.

What's your favorite tutorial on converting a single site to a multisite?

Best,
    Ken

Michelle Shull

Heya, Ken!

This one, of course: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

You could keep all free content on the primary, with courses and premium content on the sub, I think that would work out great.

It took me about an hour to set up multisite the first time, most of that was reading, I'd give it a 5 on the WordPress Scale of Job Complexity.

Hope you're having a great weekend!