My Desire to be Helpful

I've noticed that others (most either moderators or staff members) seem to chime in regularly to answer question and help others. While my knowledge and skills are not at the same level as many of those that have been helping me, I do feel that I possess a fair knowledge of Wordpress and uses for it. Also, I seem to have this overwhelming desire to help people out (much to the chagrin of my wife - she says I should be busy about paying work :wink: ).

Anyway, I was wondering if there are triggers or RSS feeds or something that I can use to watch for new submissions so that I can chime in to help when I see something that I've either got knowledge or experience with. If so, tell me how to do that. If it's just to keep checking back with the latest posts, I'll do that as well, but I keep thinking there has to be an easier way.

JDD

• Timothy Bowers

Hey James.

We love people who help out, in fact the community spirit is really important here as you noticed and for that WPMU Dev reward their members. :slight_smile:

In fact that is how I started here on WPMU Dev. I was here before... erm.... a fair while ago probably 2005 or 06 I forget. Back then we could submit content and I contributed a couple of theme fixes for free themes (not WPMU Dev ones) that at the time did not work on MU for some reason or other I forget.

Anyway, I then signed up again early last year and just helped people out. (I even occasionally got a little greif with people thinking I was staff then, ha ha). I reached lifetime membership in under a month :slight_smile:

Anyway, we love people getting involved and sharing their insight and opinion. Sometimes you might have a different take, approach, a different idea or know of something someone else has either forgotten or does not know. So yeah chime in and help out, its always appreciated! :slight_smile:

That feed should get you everything on the forums I believe.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/rss/

• Sue

Hi JDD

As Tim says we love people helping so I thought I'd share how I make it easier for myself to keep up with the forum.

How I do it is I have the WPMU DEV forum set up in a folder in Google Reader using https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/rss/ Refer to this post if you are new to Google Reader - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/rss/

Then I've got Reeder set up with my Google Reader feed on my iPad ( http://reederapp.com/ipad/ ).

Most of my forum post reading is done on my iPad using Reeder. Benefit of this for me is I find Reeder on the iPad faster and easier to read through the forum threads compared to reading inside Google Reader and it allows me to read it any where (means I can sit on the couch reading with the family) . Then for short answers I'll quickly respond directly using my iPad and for those I want to write longer response I'll star and respond to using my computer later. All I do is open up Google Reader on my computer and work quickly through the Starred items in my Google Reader account.

Finally it keeps my husband happy :slight_smile: Besides being able to keep working without him necessarily realizing (but he does); he is totally addicted to the iPad and is unable to live without it (which is saying something since he is a technophobe).

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• Sue

Hi JDD

Definitely worth it! In the words of my technophobic husband "When you first purchased your iPad I thought it was the stupidest thing you have ever bought and you did it because you wanted to keep up with your friends. Now I realize it was the best thing you EVER bought."

My husband might not be into technology but don't get between him and his iPad. He even taught himself how to connect to wireless on it while traveling overseas because he couldn't bear the thought of being unable to use it (PS teaching himself how to set up wireless is progress. I've given up trying to explain why apps are better than mobile web browsers for most things :slight_smile: )

And off course here we can claim it against tax as a work expense.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• Sue

Hi redhillcreative

Excellent point regarding FlipBook. Some people do prefer to use FlipBook and the magazine style may well make it faster for skim reading. I do use FlipBooks for links shared on Twitter.

I like Reeder on the iPad because I enjoy the linear flow and it scrolls nicely between the posts compared to Google Reader on my computer that tends to be more clunky scrolling.

I'll set up my Google Reader account again in FlipBook and let you know how I find the comparison.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• James Dunn

iPads are wonderful and although I'm a "PC", when the first version of the iPad came out, I honestly wondered why anyone would ever want to buy a PC (or a Mac) ever. The iPad is soooooo functional and versatile that I really want one bad.

At church, two weeks ago, we configured the house sound board so that we can control most of the functions from an iPad. It was easy to set up and very powerful once we did. Now, the people in front of the congregation can control their monitors on stage without even having to ask one of our sound techs to do it.

Also, thanks for the idea on FlipBook. I still like handheld magazines and books - primarily because most readers I've seen do not do a good job of "flipping the pages". Now, I really want an iPad and put FlipBook on it to try it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. It's funny how a thread can take a turn and become so much more than originally intended. And all because I asked a question about how to become more helpful in the forum. WOW!!!

• Sue

@redhillcreative - I've now set it up in FlipBoard but still thinking for the forum Reeder is probably the faster option for reading the forum. However, it could also be due to my more linear reading perference. Also maybe due to the forum being more text based while FlipBoard works well with links from your Twitter network and blog posts where the images in posts enrich the magazine reading experience.

@JDD - If you like what you saw of the first iPad you'll really love the iPad2 or iPad3. The original iPad was great but the iPad2 and iPad3 are considerably better. I'll probably create a debate here but there isn't much between the iPad2 and iPad3. The iPad3 is better, but not enough to notice it if you are using an iPad2, while the iPad3 is a very hot little pad (heats up considerably when used a lot).

And off course, what you can do with them is amazing!

I'm now fully converted to reading everything on my iPad. I do have a Kindle but I find it is much better on the iPad. Every one in my house now reads using the Kindle app, on an iPad or a Droid (there has to be one that wants to be different :slight_smile: ), except for my husband who reads books. My kids now read more as a result -- which makes me happy.

Hope all these suggestions also help others!

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Edublogs Support Manager

• James Dunn

Hey @Sue (and others).

My initial "lightbulb moment" for the iPad was that it was an excellent tool for making client presentations when you are sitting in front of the client. I could see building an entire presentation and then going through it with the client on the iPad.

But, then I started to see sooooo much more that could be done with it.

I'm in a meeting right now for a benefit golf tournament (they think I'm taking notes, but I'm writing this). I'm in charge of the tournament and I put my schedule and tournament notes on Google Docs. I was thinking it would be wonderful if everyone involved with this meeting this morning had an iPad. I could type in changes on the Docs and they would immediately reflect to everyone in the room. But, I had to print 6 copies of the schedule and 6 copies of the ToDo list for the other members. I shared my two Docs with everyone in the group and only one accepted the share. It's a shame that more people aren't grabbing a hold of the ability to work in the cloud.

Hope everyone has a productive week. Mine is off to a running start.

JDD

• redhillcreative

@JamesDunn
    I share your frustration.

I Love Google Apps, and have installed it for a number of charity groups that I work with. But the problem is that nobody actually uses anything except gmail.

If only they know the POWER of shared calendars / docs.

Right now, I too am sitting in a meeting. I shared the meeting, the agenda and a draft report that I put together for a fundraiser and NOBODY responded.

The worst thing is that the expensive smart phones that everybody has at the table, is begging to be used for more than facebook and twitter.

Blah

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.