My end goal is to take a snapshot of a standalone site

My end goal is to take a snapshot of a standalone site and import it into a multisite install.

I ALMOST got this working! :slight_smile:

The site imported, but all menu and blog posts links were not correctly renamed. They were renamed, but to the url of the root multisite url instead of the sub-site.

I created a sub-site specifically to import into and told the import to use that site.

Would love to get an updated version to test with... thanks...

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @pmsteil, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

That's definitely an odd thing to occur, could you go into more detail as to how you created the snapshot, and would it be possible for you to send in the following:

- In the subject field add "Attn: Michael Bissett”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include a copy of the snapshot you created (you can upload it to Dropbox, and attach the link to it there)
    - Include any other relevant details

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @pmsteil, my apologies for the delay here! We've had a pretty busy week here, and we've had some staff away (due to bereavement & WordCamp EU).

After taking a bit of time to test with your snapshot, as well as a couple of snapshots of my own (restoring them to different sub-sites on my Multisite install), I'm not only finding that the menu & page links are being rewritten to point to the main site, but the address for the blog itself is being rewritten to point to the main site.

(my test snapshots were using the Twenty Fourteen theme, with no plugins enabled on the sub-sites themselves; only our Dashboard plugin and the Snapshot plugin were enabled on the network)

I've notified the developer of this issue, so we can investigate this further. Thanks for letting us know about this! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• pmsteil
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Great Michael, thanks for testing this and proving out the issue.

Is there an easy way to fix this for my site so I can move forward or do you think the developer will be able to fix this i the next week?

Thanks,
    Patrick

• pmsteil

Michael, any update on this? I need an eta so that I will know if I need to move forward with trying to debug / fix this on my own... I will need to get these 2 standalone sites moved into my MS install within the next week or so... thanks...

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @pmsteil

I can confirm that the developer is still working on the fix. Once the fix is added you will get a notification for update the plugin. I am afraid, there is no easy fix :slight_frown: We appreciate your patience on this.

Cheers
    Ash

• pmsteil

Can you tell me if this issue was resolved?

I am getting back to setting this up and have a deadline of 2 weeks from now. Can I use the plugin correctly now to import a snapshot of a standalone site into a multisite install?

Thanks

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @pmsteil

This from our snapshot developer:

Current version of Snapshot works really well for migrating a site across, with the exception of the wp_options table.

When creating a Snapshot and then importing it into another site it will restore perfectly, but because the options are different this table does not come across as nicely (not for a standalone site... multisite works fine).

The steps would be...

* Import the Snapshot into the new site.
    * Restore the Snapshot, but only select some tables.
    Then select all the tables except for wp_options.

Since a few plugins store settings in wp_options, plugins and site will have to be reconfigured.

Snapshot can work for migration, but its not an exact cloner. The new site will need some configuration.

Would you please try as per his suggestion?

Cheers
    Ash

• pmsteil

Thanks for the quick reply... ok so a few more questions to clarify what you are saying:

1. So is this why I had the original problem? Because of the wp_options table?

2. Can I just import the wp_options table and then inspect the wp_options table to fix any problems?

3. Can give more detail on why it doesn't come over correctly, maybe we can write some php code to address this as a workaround?

4. Is there going to be any enhancements to this functionality to make it be a solution to move a standalone site into multi-site? I would be willing to create a plugin for this if you can help us figure out why this doesn't work correctly.

5. And are you saying that once I migrate the site into my multi-site environment, if I want to then make a snapshot and restore the site again, I will not have this problem - that this problem only happens when moving a site from standalone to multi-site?

Thanks for the reply...

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @pmsteil

The main problem is wp_options table store some important data about site url and single site related. As the same table is being handled little differently in a multisite that's why he suggested to skip this table.

And yes, this problem only happens to import from single site to a multisite. If you backup a subsite and restore in that case it won't be any problem.

Currently there is no quick solution I am afraid, but our developer is also trying to find a good workaround to make it easier for single site to multisite.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.