My need is to create a development site for my production

Hello
My need is to create a development site for my production Wordpress site.
After reading many things I downloaded Snapshot.
First, I export data from 1 blog (the production one) -> export is OK. I have a full archive of many Mo (400 Mo, NB: I keep the default parameter of the export)
Then I create my second website on another platform. Setup of wordpress and Snapshot is ok.
Finally, I try to restore we Zip i've previously uploaded by FTP to my snaphot directory but I had an issue something like: "error, go to settings part". I try to click on setting but now nothing is working. The link setting redirect to the URL of my production server. No more dev server. Now I only have blank pages.
Could you please help ?
NB: as I am in testing mode I could remove my setup in dev platform, no matter. Just tell me What I did wrong ?
THanks of your help !

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hello, Andrieu!

Are you still getting white screens on your test site?

If so, let's try accessing it via FTP, then rename your plugins folder. Go back to your site and see if you can access it now. If so, we've got a plugin conflict on our hands.

Do not go to your plugins page, go back to your FTP and create a new folder called plugins in wp-content. Transfer half your plugins to the new folder, test your site again. If it loads, the conflict is with the other half of the plugins. Copy the other half to your new plugins folder, remove the first half, and try again. Repeat this until you've narrowed down the plugin causing the error and report back in.

Thanks so much!

• Andrieu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello
    "Are you still getting white screens on your test site? "
    yes

"If so, let's try accessing it via FTP, then rename your plugins folder. Go back to your site and see if you can access it now. If so, we've got a plugin conflict on our hands. "
    I have renamed the plugin folder into "zzplugin" . The same Still white.
    FYI if I go to wp-admin on my duplicate site it redirect to may main website

Thans of your help
    Rgds

• Andrieu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello
    I try once again to
    1/ delete worpdress (dev server)
    2/ remove the db (dev server)
    3/ launch a new snapshot (prod server) w/o export of plugin folder
    4/ setup wordpress + plugin snapshot (dev server)
    5/ import the snapshot (dev server)
    Still the same white screen and error during the restore in the snapshot.
    I join the log file here.
    Rgds

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Andrieu,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the additional information.

Is the site you are creating a snapshot of solution-bi? If so, do you mind granting support access so I can take my own snapshot and try uploading it to my test environment and seeing if it works :slight_smile:

This would help rule out whether it is your dev server or if it is something within the snapshot itself.

Just post back when you have granted access.

You can grant access from your dashboard via: WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Andrieu,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for doing that :slight_smile:

I'm getting a white screen while trying to load your screenshots and also while trying to visit your plugins list. Are you currently having any server issues?

Make sure you delete any plugins you aren't using before creating the snapshot; otherwise it will just include un-needed plugins which take up space.

Being that your snapshot is already over 400mb, you should try to get rid of as much un-needed files as you can :slight_smile:

It is also likely that your restore could be timing out because it's such a large snapshot. Does the "error, go to settings" come up right away when trying to restore or does it come up after a long time of the restore trying to load?

You may also want to check with your web host on this because it could be a server side restriction that is stopping the process here.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Andrieu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello

"I'm getting a white screen while trying to load your screenshots"

Which screenshot ? Do you mean Snapshot ?

" and also while trying to visit your plugins list. Are you currently having any server issues?"

Server is working well on my side now. I could send you the liste of the pluging I have (I don't want to post it in this "public" area).

"you should try to get rid of as much un-needed files as you can"
    Ok I will try to do a new run with less data.

"Does the "error, go to settings" come up right away when trying to restore or does it come up after a long time of the restore trying to load? "
    No only after 1 min. I can record a swf screencast if you want (and send you in private message).
    Rgds

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Andrieu,

Hope you're doing well today!

Sorry about that, yes, I meant 'snapshots' instead of screenshots.

No only after 1 min. I can record a swf screencast if you want (and send you in private message).

This definitely sounds like a timeout issue. Likely because the file is so large. If you do another run with less data then it will likely work. A good test to do here would be to create a snapshot with ONLY the core WP tables selected, so it's small, then try uploading that.

If you're able to restore that snapshot then you know it is because the size of the other one.

You can try increasing your timeout by adding this to your .htaccess:

php_value max_execution_time 300

The 300 is seconds, so in this case it should increase it to 5 minutes; however, some web hosts restrict increasing timeout with this method.

Let me know if that works :slight_smile: If not, then I can get that plugin list from you pirvately to double check that.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Andrieu,

Thanks for all your patience here! I just tried to restore the exact same snapshot into my sandbox site and it stalled on the same spot. Could be something wrong with the wp_postmeta tables, you could try unchecking that table and seeing if it keeps on going the next time.

Would you mind if I created a different snapshot on your install? I will delete them after :slight_smile: I just want to test a few different sized snapshots out.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. I'm going to bed soon; however, I'll make note to check back here when I wake up. I will be on most of the day :slight_smile:

• Andrieu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Thanks of your help

Sorry but I still have the issue. This time with wp_posts table.
    - wp_posts > wp_posts

I try without this table..
    Now it's this table that has issue:
    - wp_stt2_meta > wp_stt2_meta

I try to remove all wdps table and it seems that now the import is working properly only with this setup for the moment.
    I tried exporting files now and have issue... arg that's really difficult.

Rgds

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Andrieu,

Thanks for the update!

The snapshot looks good now, you having problems exporting it now? I just downloaded your new snapshot and didn't have any issue. What is the error you're seeing now? Could you also update to WordPress 4.0 as well :slight_smile:

Assuming you are importing it into a 4.0 install. Having them both the same version is a good idea, will ensure there is no issues there.

Thanks for all your patience Andrieu, I know issues like this can be frustrating, when so many variables are involved sometimes problems can occur. Look forward to hearing back!

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Andrieu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello

My current version of wp is 3.9. That's one of the reason I want to setup the new dev version. I want to test in development the upgrade in 4.0 before.
    Only this very "light version" of export is working. Not with theme or other options. That's not a really copy of my production website.
    Issue is still the same (white screen) If I add one option (ex: exporting theme)

Rgds

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Andrieu,

Have you tried manually cloning your site?
    You will have to do the following:

1. Copy all files to the new server
    2. Copy the database to the new server
    3. edit your wp-config.php file so that your site uses the new server database & user
    4. Use this tool to search your database for your old domain and replace it with the new one: https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.