GIF is being cropped

My other problem now is when I enable importing of an image and the image is GIF, Status cannot use the original GIF. It crops the image and the animated GIF is gone. Is it possible to retain the original GIF and also create a featured image from the GIF? This is the only problem I'm facing right now.

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

So sorry for the inconvenience you are having. I tried to import a GIF file in my status, but that was imported successfully. I selected "Full Size" while embedding and the GIF didn't break. I've created a video screencast of the process: http://take.ms/0PGLV

I've also tried setting a GIF file as featured images, but that was not cropped too. I've created another screencast showing this: http://take.ms/fuc23

Can you please check and confirm? If this is not the same on your site, then I need to see the issue live. I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the clarification. I pasted a link of a GIF file which has larger resolution than my content area, but still that GIF was not cropped and the animation is working perfectly. So I think, this is your site specific issue. Can I please test this on your site? I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. We will jump in as soon as you confirm.

And regarding the featured image issue, I'm really very sorry but I'm a bit confused. If you want, you can set a cropped image as featured image, if you want, you can set a full size image as featured image. It's totally up to you. If a GIF is broken after cropping, then you should be using the full size image. Are you looking for a way so that the GIF will be cropped but the animation won't break? If yes, then I'm afraid, this is not natively possible with WordPress. In that case, you can use any third party GIF resizer like this one "http://gifmaker.me/resizer/" to resize your images and then upload in Status. I believe, in that way, you can use your desired size GIF for featured image.

Please let us know if I missed something again or if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

Thanks for granting Support Access. I checked your site and I can see that you have posted GIFs successfully and they are animated. Even featured image animations are also working on your site.

However, I could find that featured image thumbnails are not automatically generated when a post is updated with Status as this feature is still not available in this plugin. But I think, it would be awesome if this plugin automatically created featured images with status. So I'm moving your thread to our Features and Feedback section. More people liking this idea, more chances our developers will work on this and will include this feature in our future releases.

Please let us know if you have any further inquiry. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

So sorry for all the confusion above. Now the thing is clear to me. I've investigated your issue in full details with detailed configuration and found that, when all the options under "Download external images" option is selected to "yes", it imports that external image in your media library successfully but the animation is gone from the GIF file. So this is a confirmed bug and I'm reporting this to our developer right now. I believe, he will come up with a solution soon.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix.

And regarding the featured image not automatically being set, I just posted an external GIF link on your site but the featured image thumbnail was created automatically. Can you please check and confirm on your site? Please let us know if I'm again missing something. I'll be glad to assist further on this.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

I tested both in your site and my site. Featured image is being generated automatically. I've created a screencast on your site: http://take.ms/aUa0P

The same is happening on my test site. Featured image is created automatically but the animation is not working. I've already reported to our developer regarding animation not working and I believe, he will come up with a solution soon. But I could not regenerate the "featured image not generating" issue neither on my test site nor on your site. Can you please provide a screencast about what happens on your site when you try?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

I'm so sorry for the delay from our end. Now I get it. I tried to regenerate this issue on my test site and I could. So I'm also marking this as a confirmed bug and reporting to our developer right now. I believe, he will come up with a fix soon.

As I said above, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix. I appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Jay,

I'm so sorry for the delay. I really wish I could give you any ETA for this but I'm sorry, I can't. I do believe, they will come up with a fix soon. But as I said before, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and release a fix.

I do apologize for the delay and I appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Panos

Hi Jay ,

Regarding the issue with gifs not animating, since WordPress generates other image copies of different size when uploading an image, you need to make sure that you select the Full Size before clicking the "Insert into post" button:

If I understand correctly you can't set a featured image of post when you select "Image" type. This is by design, as it will repeat the same image once for featured image and another one for the content of the post. However I have modified file
    wp-content/plugins/status/lib/class_wdqs_admin_pages.php
    which you can replace, so it sets the uploaded image as featured too. Before replacing I would recommend to keep a backup of previous file (eg simply rename it to "class_wdqs_admin_pages.php.txt" ) .

Hope this helps!