My pages except home pages all show an error when I try to view them in front end

I think I must have some permalink settings wrong .... My home page is fine, but when I create a new page and try to view it as a user would see it (not in the back-end) there is an Internal Server Error which is most annoying. Please could you suggest something I can try to fix it?
This happens to every new page I create. I've tried changing the theme, page permalinks, hyperlinks in the content ..... about the only thing I haven't tried is remove Wordpress altogether and re-install. Which I don't really want to do!
Please help,
Thanks, LAURA :smiley:

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Laura

I hope you are well today.

What is your current permalink structure? Can you refresh them please, this is done by changing them, saving and then changing them back to what they were :slight_smile:

Next could you change to the 2012 theme and deactivate every plugin you have please and then create a new page and see if it works? Do you have any errors in your error log at all?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Fretless
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I must say i'm seeing a similar problem, but with already existing internal links. I've re-set permalinks, changed to the default WordPress theme, disabled all plugins, cleared browser caches - even flushed and reinstalled the database from a backup. No change whatsoever. Like Laura my home page is fine, but links to any page or post produces an error 404.

Not saying its anything you guys might've done, because i'm still doing system checks. I just came to the forums to see if it was something other people had experienced.

The back-end is fine. Posts and pages all there, and editable. Saves are fine, but error 404's when you go to view the page. Usually with this sort of problem a permalink update was all that was needed, but not in this circumstance. Just weird. Anyway, if I discover anything i'll report back.

• Laura
    • New Recruit

Found my error log :smiley: It has 3 lines:
    [Wed Jun 05 01:43:09 2013] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.secure.xxx.co.nz' does NOT match server name!?
    [Wed Jun 05 01:43:10 2013] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.secure.xxx.co.nz' does NOT match server name!?
    [Wed Jun 05 05:13:56 2013] [error] [client 174.238.32.143] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/xxx/domains/xxx.co.nz/public_html/videos/, referer: http://www.xxx.co.nz/augers/

I've replaced some of the server names with xxx in case they happen to be sensitive. Just on the safe side :slight_smile: So do any of these errors provide you a clue what may be happening?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Laura

I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay on this, the first two are warnings and aren't a major issue, but the last one Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/xxx/domains/xxx.co.nz/public_html/videos/, referer:

That could indicate that permissions are wrong somewhere, which permissions do you have on your files and folders?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.