My scheduled managed backups don't work

I am trying to schedule my backups daily to run at 3:00 but seems like they are not running. However, when I try to manually run the backups they work perfectly.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Tim

I hope you're well today and thank you for getting in touch!

I've accessed the site and checked it. Since Managed Backups work when run manually but not scheduled, the first thing I checked was WP Cron.

I've let myself install and activate a WP Crontrol plugin - it's a nifty tool that shows what's going on "under the hood" with WP Cron. It actually confirmed that cron is not properly fired. There's this error message

There was a problem spawning a call to the WP-Cron system on your site. This means WP-Cron events on your site may not work. The problem was:
    Unexpected HTTP response code: 403

and there's a list of cron events that were scheduled but never triggered for last week (about). It seem that something might have been changed around that time on site.

Do you recall any major changes in site configuration (or adding/removing plugins/themes etc) or server recently?

Were these backups running fine before or you tried that only now? Also, I see that you have some other sites registered with The Hub - are they by any chance on the same server and is Managed Backup working fine on them or not?

Let me know, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Tim
    • New Recruit

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting back to me. I think there was a plugin installed called 'WP Heartbeat', which I believe helps to control the executions on the site (or something like that). It was recommended by the hosting company as the execution count was quite high and we didn't want the site to go down.

Could this have effected things?

Tim

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Tim

Thank you for your response!

I'd rather say that it's either a matter of some conflict of plugins or something "blocking" that out "server side". I noticed that you're hosting with SiteGround so I'd suggest trying to switch WP Cron to a server cron as this often helps and would also make scheduling stable and completely independent of the traffic that site receives.

Here's a guide on how to do this (straight from SiteGround):

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/real-cron-job/

Would you give it a try, please? Let's see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't help, I'll investigate the issue further.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.