My site got the score 0 at google speed test site

Hi,

I'm using the wpsmash and w3tk plugins but it seems it's not inaf to get good score at google insight speed. It would be great get help with it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kcenter.co.il%2FTEST_079.co.il%2F&tab=desktop

Thank you,
Eitay

• Dominic
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Eitay,

Those tools can help with these scores, but they can't do everything. There are some simple steps you can take to improve these scores however:

1. Optimize images - Google is actually quite helpful here, it shows that your images could be compressed to save 96% of their file size (!!!)

FIX - Click "Show me how to fix" on the Google Page speed results, then click "Optimize the following images" - this will compress and download your images for you. You will need to upload these to your site and replace them, which may take some time but will definitely be worth it.

2. Enable GZip Compression - W3TC can help with this

FIX - Go to W3TC settings, click on the "Browser Cache" tab and ensure that "Enable HTTP (gzip) compression" is selected.

3. Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content - this means that some of your themes and plugins are putting scripts and styles early in the page

FIX - https://wordpress.org/plugins/scripts-to-footerphp/ - this is a simple highly rated plugin for moving scripts to the footer of your page. It is possible that this can cause some styling or JS issues with your site, so worth a good test afterwards. Also, once enabled, well worth a purging of your W3TC caches.

4. Leverage browser caching - Again, W3TC should help here...

FIX - Head back to the Browser Cache page of W3TC settings, ensure that ALL boxes labelled "Set expires header" are ticked, again, worth a purge of your caches.

5. Prioritize visible content - Hopefully enabling GZip will help here, if not some further investigation may be required.

Let me know how you get on with those!

Cheers,

Dominic,

• Eitay
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jude and Dominic,
    The wpsmash doesn't sapose to do that? the plugin says that "All images are Super-Smushed"
    but still I can't see any result.
    I have no idea how to use the googls' guid to resize the images.

I have defined w3tc plugin but still, it's I get the 0 score.

Thank you

• Dominic

Hi Eitay,

The link I referred to optimise the images are via the link you pasted, see my attached images for more clarity.

Did you also make sure that you purged your W3TC caches?

I'll have to leave someone from WPMU to answer the question on WP Smush, I have experienced the same, mostly I will use Google's images as well as WP Smush to get them as small as possible...

Cheers,

Dominic,

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Eitay, Michael here!

Please note, that it looks like your login page is being opened presently, so PageSpeed Insights is presently evaluating the speed of that page.

That said, of the two options presented there:

#1: Reduce server response time

Part of the problem can be the host itself, not all web hosts are created equally. :slight_smile:

If you're wanting to try a different web host, we did do a review of web hosts some time ago, you can check out that list:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/web-hosting-review-so-just-who-is-the-best/

Some other hosts that members have spoken favorably of would include:

- Site 5 (they do offer a free trial, so you can check this out)
    - Surpasshosting
    - DigitalOcean (this would be a VPS)

Another point to consider would be the plugins & the theme in use. Try testing & seeing if there's a particular plugin combination that's causing a slowdown here. Of course, I'd want to open up the site to be more viewable first, rather than continue on testing the login page. :slight_smile:

#2: Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content

Given that this is for the login page, not to mention the files mentioned, I wouldn't be too concerned about them. The server speed is what seems to be catching PageSpeed Insights' attention presently.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Dominic

Excellent news Eitay, glad to see that.

Just to follow on from what Michel said, I'd highly recommend reviewing your themes and plugins before looking at a more extreme solution like changing hosting.

Lots of different opinions on this plugin, but it's saved my skin a number of times:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/p3-profiler/

This plugin will run some tests on your WordPress install and will show you how much of your load time is spent running code from each plugin. This can be a quick way to see if your scores change. If anything looks like it's taking a long time, try deactivating that plugin and check Google Page Speeds again.

It's important to note that just because a plugin is taking a long time to run doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, it could be a conflict with another plugin that's causing it to take a long time.

I tend to find this ^^ quicker than deactivating all plugins and reactivating one by one.

What is also a good idea, is switching to the WordPress 2015 theme and running the test again, this should tell you if your theme is slowing things down.

Cheers,

Dominic,

• Eitay
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Michel and Dominic,

Thank you for replay :slight_smile:
    I tried to replace the theme to wordpress theme it gave me 3 scors more.
    Tried to deactivate plugins with the p3 that made me suspect but the score didn't change.
    My hosting site consider very fast here in my caunry.
    Now I can see that the score came back to 74 for some reasone I don't know.
    I'v opned my site now so you won't see only the login page.
    Is there something I can do more with w3tc?

Thank you :slight_smile:

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey again

I think if you followed the pointers shared in this thread you are as close you can come to excellent optimization. You can get a professional consultant to boost page speed who may be able to increase that a few points but I'd advice against it.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.