My site lists job openings from 5 different categories.

My site lists job openings from 5 different categories. I need an effective way to list every open job by expiration date(in meta-data), then break it down by category. It seems, from my research on google and the codex, like archive.php may be the best option to list them all, then create new templates for {cat-slug}-archive.php for each category. This would seemingly bypass any need for shortcodes to display posts. Am I correct?

That leads to my next question...How Do I create a page based on specific templates? Or, if page creation is unnecessary, how do I get the url for the page that WP automatically creates for category archives?

• Josh
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes, I have looked into those types of plugins. They either cost money (company will not spend anything on it) or they interfere with our firewall, and we cannot post anything within the company network. Yes, it is immensely frustrating as a web manager...

So I went with blog posts instead. I was using my theme's "Recent Posts" shortcode, but wouldn't obviously work with my CPTs.

I'd be open to try Classifieds and CustomPress again, but I couldn't figure out how to display those CPTs. The display post shortcode plugin I tried interfered with our firewall...

I'm still trying to navigate basic WP structure. If I create cpt-archive.php template, it will list all published CPTs, no? And I can further create category-archive.php to break it down? If I do this, how do I find the archive URL to direct users?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Josh

I hope you are well today.

The best option will be to create page template with custom query. It seems that you are familiar with custom archive.php, you just need to use similar query and create page template for each category.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Page_Templates#Custom_Page_Template

And then, when you create a page, from right side Page Template meta box select the template. View the page in the browser and you will see the output of the code.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.