My subdomain in WP Admin has ceased working after installing some non-WPMUDev plugins.

My Network Admin and primary domain (causeinternational.com) Admin both work fine in WP Admin but my subdomain (australia.causeinternational.com) Admin has ceased working and I get the error:

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.24 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.24 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at australia.causeinternational.com Port 80

Using FileZilla I can see that the /public_html/australia/ directory contains only one file (.ftpquota) and one empty directory (/cgi-bin).

I'm running WordPress Multisite. Could the installation of the plugins (via Network Admin) have caused a corruption of my WordPress installation for my subdomain?

What should I do to restore WordPress for my subdomain?

Thanks ... Michael

• Alexander

Hi @MichaelScott,

Try deleting or renaming the "australia" folder. Wordpress Multisite doesn't use folders for the subsites. Rather all requests get sent through the index.php in the root directory, and it just queries the appropriate database tables.

What I suspect it happening, is that because the folder exists, your web server is trying to serve the content out of that folder. This means Wordpress is never reached.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
    Best regards,

• MichaelScott

HI Alexander,

I renamed the /public_html/australia/ directory but basically got the same error messages.

I will go back to my hosting company who did a few one-off things to resolve some DNS issues including creating the /public_html/causeaustralia.com.au/ as per the screen shot attached below.

So just to make sure I understand what you've said ... is it the case that the installation of WordPress Multisite would not have created the /public_html/australia/ directory?

Thanks for your help, and best regards ... Michael

• Alexander

@MichaelScott,

Yes, it's very possible that this was setup by your host. Wordpress multisite with subdomains usually just uses a wildcard CNAME entry that points back to the main domain. This way all requests are sent to the Wordpress index.php Then wordpress checks the incoming URL and knows which site to use.

They may have setup australia.causeinternational.com with a subdomain record that is pointing it to that folder.

If you suspect their changes is what made this stop working, I'd recommend getting back in touch and having them take a look.

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance here.

• MichaelScott

Hi Alexander,

I've sent as detailed and complete an email to my hosting provider as I can on what's been recommended by you and others (when I had installation issues a month or two ago).

Assuming that they undertake what you've suggested, can I confirm with you that I should still be able to have my causeaustralia.com.au domain name delegate to my Multisite site australia.causeinternational.com that is stored in the Multisite database (rather than via the /public_html/australia/ directory)?

My reason for asking is that as we expend from Australia to other countries I want to create new subdomains of the form <country>,causeinternational.com which are delegated to from domain names of the form cause<country>.<whatever>. The importance of that relates to the back-end ERP that we use that needs to work with one (international) website ... moving to a speparate website for each country will be a real problem.

Thanks againa, and best regards ... Michael

• Alexander

@MichaelScott,

Have you been creating the subdomains from your hosting account? If so, this might be part of the problem.

Often when a subdomain is created on web hosting with something like cPanel, it adds the DNS record, but also associates that DNS record with a folder on the site. This is going to conflict with Wordpress.

It order for Multisite to function properly, you need to make sure each subdomain is setup as a DNS record only, and that the web server doesn't create a "virtual host" for it that points to a folder.

If you have the wildcard subdomain setup, you shouldn't have to change any DNS settings. It will just send requests from any subdomain to your Wordpress site, and Wordpress will take it from there.

Best regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.