My Upfront themes broke suddenly: Sites will not load at all!

I've had upfront installed and working just fine. Then suddenly, my pages that used it broke and wouldn't display at all! I'd tried creating a dummy site and doing preview on Upfront themes and they do not even preview.

http://www.humaneclectic.org/ezra is an example of a site that was working and is now broken (there was a lovely slider and all textures as well as being able to launch the Upfront editor will not load). I cannot even pick an Upfront theme without it breaking that site.

Please help!
-Lee

• Milan

Hello Lee,

Sorry to hear about your issue.

You said in your question that pages and sites with Upfront were working fine but suddenly it all broke up. This is something I think is really strange. So can you tell me what actions you were performed which caused this sudden buggy behaviour on your end ? Have you updated/installed some other addon or theme ?

You are saying that right now if you activate Upfront theme your site gets down. Right ? So to debug for this issues please open up your wp-config.php file and find this line in it,

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

make it to something like,

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

In addition of above change( that change will basically display errors and notices ), I think it will be good too if we log AJAX request's errors and notices. So in the same file( wp-config.php ), just below

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

this line, add this one too,

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

This change will save logs, errors and notices generated during AJAX requests or normal page loads in /wp-content/ directory as debug.log file.

Please make above changes and then again try to activate and use Upfront. Let me know if you notice some error or notice.

Also Would you please grant me support staff access so that I can check in depth regarding your issue ?. You can grant me support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Cheers,
    Milan

• Human Eclectic

Hey, would gladly, but I found the issue! Thank you for the great reply though! Here's the think I found...

On a "hey why not" I tried disabling all plugins and the sites started working again. The culprit ultimately was a recently installed: All 404 Redirect to Homepage - plugin.

I'm surprised it totally breaks Upfront. Why?! Too bad too... it does exactly what I want it to do otherwise. Thoughts? Better option?

Tks!
    -Lee

• Milan

Hello Lee,

Hope you are well today and we are glad that you found culprit on your own.

Dear member I am also able to replicate your issue to some extent on my sandbox installation with All 404 Redirect to Homepage plugin. On my end, site loads fine but images are not being displayed. So I am notifying our developer about this plugin conflict. Hopefully they will have something to fix this.

Meantime you can use this tiny code hack to redirect 404 redirects to home page.

function wpmu_page_template_redirect()
    {
        if( is_404() )
        {
                     header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    		header("Location: ".get_bloginfo('url'));
    		exit();
        }
    }
    add_action( 'template_redirect', 'wpmu_page_template_redirect' );

You can paste above code snippet as stand alone Plugin or leverage https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/ plugin.

Hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.