My website show HTTP ERROR 500

After my colleague wanted to upload some photos but the photos cannot be uploaded, so they did some research and was asked to deactivate some image related plugins, so they had. But after deactivated some plugins, some features disappeared. So they reactivate some plugins, and one of the plugins added has caused the whole website to go down and now it show HTTP ERROR 500. It was using Amazon AWS for hosting. How can we fix it? Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Easy,

500 error usually means that there's some fatal error happening on your site, so you should enable debug log and see if it will tell you what's causing this.
    You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Visit your site again so it shows the 500 error and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Easy
    • Wordpress Newbie

Hi Predrag,

Would like to find out whether there are any other ways to find out the error. Our site is hosted by AWS, and the system is very complicated, and we have no idea on how to proceed.

Your assistance on this will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Easy,

I haven't used AWS much but I believe you should still have access to your WordPress files, is that right?

Basically what you need to do is access your files and go to your WP root folder.
    In there you will see wp-config.php file.
    Download that file so you have a local backup and then proceed to edit the original one.
    When you open the file search for define('WP_DEBUG', false); line in there.
    Replace that line with the code I shared above and save your changes.

Now visit your site so that 500 error is shown again and that should create a debug log.
    You will need to go back to your WP files and go to /wp-content/ folder, and in there you should see debug.log file that should tell us what's causing that error.

You can also try disabling your plugins but since you don't have access to your WP admin you will still need access to your WP files.
    You would need to navigate to /wp-content/ folder and in there rename /plugins/ folder to /_plugins/.
    This will disable all your plugins and your site should start working again, make sure that at this point you don't go to Plugins panel in your WP admin section.
    If your site is now loading you can move your plugins one by one from /_plugins/ to /plugins/ folder until the error is back, that will tell you which plugin exactly is causing the issue.

If you don't have access to your files I'm afraid that you will need to get in touch with your AWS support and ask them to check this out for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.