My WPMU + Buddypress doesn't send notification email anymore

Greetings,

I suddenly have a very big problem with my WPMU+Buddypress install :

My system doesn’t send an email anymore when a new user try to registrer. He doesn’t get the activation email, and I (as admin) doesn’t get the notifcation email.

I did a few mods on my WPMU (like erasing old test users and website and using New Blog Templates) but I don’t see anything related.

Also, I’m using “Anti-Splog” and thought it could block the email (since I’m in a big testing phase) so I tried to deactivate it, but it doesn’t change.

How can I have my system send the emails back ? It’s a big problem since without the confirmation email I cannot create test sites anymore, and I have a big demo planned for tomorro.

Hope you guys can help me soon, thanks in advance !

DJ

• DJExp
    • The Incredible Code Injector

More infos :

After creating a few dummy websites (from different browsers), I realised that not only the system is not sending activation email and notification email, but also he doesn’t even create the user or website anymore…

Probably the two problems are linked. Thing is : I don’t know what sundenly caused that at all.

Hope you can help me,

Thanks a lot in advance !

DJ

• DJExp

Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, it’s very appreciated since I’m in a big mess if that problem is not solved very soon (I have to make a demo to my customer tomorrow).

So I deactivated all the plugins (except buddypress, since I cannot register users without it). The problem still occur.

I tried the “reset password” function but I don’t get that email too.

Really, I don’t understand because I didn’t change anything related to email and the problem occured suddenly. Is it possibe that it could be a server issue (the server sending the email) ?

Kind regards,

DJ

• DJExp

Hi Jack,

After putting all the plugins back and in the middle of trying your plugin, the emails worked again so I didn’t touch anything more…

Thanks a lot for your help !

About that MX records, can you please just tell me what I should ask concretely to our server guy who is in charge for that, so he can check if there is a problem here ?

Best regards,

Dushan

• DJExp

Ok, so I tried to install WP-SMTP on my network but it doesn’t seem to work : I can’t see any WP-SMTP options anywhere on my network admin dashboard. Is it because it needs to be activated to a site per site basis ? If that so, I don’t understand how I can use it to send my general activation and notification emails.

Is there another way or something that needs to be checked, since it doesn’t seem to be plugin related ?

Please let me know and thanks a LOT in advance for the help !

DJ

• DJExp

Thanks Jack. I’ll try that. But yeah, it seems like a server issue. I’ll try to run some tests to isolate the problem, but the thing is I’m not in charge of the server.

I’ll ask the server guy to check that. Can you just give me more details about what he should check and what the problem could be ? (MX Records)

Thanks a lot,

DJ

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi DJ,

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this a server issue, this is a useful tool here http://www.intodns.com/ and then if the server is having issue, the MX records (which can be checked using that tool, though your server guy can check live :slight_smile:

But basically the MX records handle the ingoing and outgoing mail on your server, the server guy should be able to check these within the server and test using PHP if any mail is sent :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• DJExp

Thanks a lot, I’ll check that with him.

I checked with “IntoDNS” and here’s what it said that look weird about the MX Record :

” MX A request returns CNAME WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:

mail.ageneve.ch points to

This can cause problems “

(my domain name is http://www.ageneve.net/v15/ btw)

An other idea : since I made a lot of test account from the same IP (my computer), is it possible that the problem could be related to Anti-Splog freezing my adress, and keeping it frozen even when the plugin is deactivated ?

Another thing to consider : not only are the email not sent, but when I go check “users” or “sites” in my network admin dashboard, my test users and sites are not even there…

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there DJ,

Thanks for the additional information, with the MX records that isn’t correct like into DNS returned, did your server guy look into that, that could cause the emails problems.

Though it shouldn’t be causing the users or sites in the network admin not to show, can you send me network admin details to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• DJExp

Ok, I’m very sorry to “unresolved” that, but today we’ve made some intentive testing and the results are strange : it seems that it’s working with a few emails and not with others, without having a pattern :

– it’s working on my gmail adress

– it’s also working on another adress with a private domain name

– it’s NOT working on my friend gmail adress

– it’s NOT working on one of my alternate gmail adress

– it’s working on my friend “outlook” adress.

I’m wondering if it’s a deliverability problem or what, but I don’t understand how it’s possible for it to work one every two time on different adresses domain, and also how comes it’s working on my gmail adress but not on my friend’s.

Also, my server guy told me he fixed the problem on his side, so I don’t know what could explain that. It’s a big problem since, without these emails notification, I won’t be able to demo account creation to my customer tomorrow afternoon. :slight_frown:

Do you have any idea of what the problem could be ?

btw, here’s the scan of our domain with the tool you suggested the other day, if it’s of any help :

Thanks a lot again,

DJ

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there DJ,

You have these problems with your MX records

Warning MX CNAME Check WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:

mail.ageneve.ch

The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!

Error MX A request returns CNAME WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:

mail.ageneve.ch points to

This can cause problems

This is what’s returned for your MX records, could your server guy look into that? Also could you check the great suggestion by @mark

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• DJExp

Hi there,

@ Mark : Thanks a lot for the great suggestion, we’ll look into that !

@ Jack : My server guy looked into that problem and told me he fixed it. It seems OK now as far as IntoDNS is concerned : http://www.intodns.com/ageneve.net.

He told me I needed to wait some time for the DNS to update themselves, so I’ll check again in a few hours and let you know.

Thanks to both of you for the help !

Cheers,

DJ

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there DJ,

Thanks for the additional information, when I had checked this morning, those errors were still showing, but now they aren’t :slight_smile:

This should now technically work, please let me know if your still having problems I’m here to help :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.