myfitcodeapp.fitness multisite (http://52.5.25.132) not displaying or allowing admin login

The multisite database may be corrupted. I can neither access via WP login nor via PHPMyAdmin mySQL root login.

The site is up but not displaying correctly. Since I can't log in I can't give you Support Access. The site is running the Spirit theme.

I can access the EC2 instance via FTP but can't do much else. I can provide FTP access via private key if that would help. Ideas!!!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

As much as I'd love to have better news I'm afraid I must admit this may be quite difficult to fix. Having an access to the database we could fix/reset the WordPress login but if the database got "corrupted" somehow and there's no way to access it it seems difficult.

Yet, since your site seems to be running it should be possible to access the database using login and password used for WordPress (the one you would find in site's "wp-config.php" file). Have you already tried it? Could you please check and confirm whether this is possible?

An alternative, which doesn't sound good - I realize that, may be to restore previous version of the site (when it was all working fine) from backup if there's any (hopefully). That being said, please double-check if you could login to the database directly (via phpMyAdmin or Adminer script) using WP db credentials and let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dan

Adam

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the WP db credentials don't work either. I am able to create the ssh tunnel for phpMyAdmin as usual but neither the root nor the WP db username and password return any response. However, entering an incorrect username or password provide the usual phpMyAdmin login error. This is also what happens with WP logins. There is no response at all with correct credentials.

I do have a recent backup (Snapshot Pro plugin) in my wpmubackups folder in wp-content. However, I'm not sure how to do the restore process. This is the first network that I've had crash since using this backup tool. I also have several snapshot zip files from earlier backups in my uploads folder where I was keeping local copies.

Assistance in the Restore process would be mightily appreciated!

Alternatively, I'll scrape the network files and start a long and costly rebuild on a new EC2 instance. Definitely not ideal.

Dan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dan!

I am able to create the ssh tunnel for phpMyAdmin as usual but neither the root nor the WP db username and password return any response. However, entering an incorrect username or password provide the usual phpMyAdmin login error. This is also what happens with WP logins. There is no response at all with correct credentials.

This sounds like an issue with db instance itself or - which is actually highly possible - a session issue. Sessions are usually stored in a "tmp" directory (location may differ depending on a system distro that you're using and its config) and this may either be full, accidentally removed or for some reason write proteced. I'd start with checking this.

Having that said, could you investigate the "condition" of "session save"/"tmp" directory of your instance? Also, have you spotted any session/login related errors in error logs whatsoever? Perhaps you could share error logs here (I may mark this thread internal if you wish so nobody except you and support staff would be able to access its content)?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dan

Hi Adam

I posted them in this thread with the attachments. The post was visible and I assumed you marked the thread private and so wasn't too concerned when it disappeared from the thread. First time I've uploaded attachments where you were going to take it private.

Anyway, I've moved on. What I would like to do is restore my Snapshot on my new instance at myfitcode.fit (the original site was myfitcodeapp.fitness). I still have access via ftp to pull down the snapshots. So will a snapshot restore on the new site properly? Is this possible?

Otherwise, I'll continue the rebuild.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dan!

I posted them in this thread with the attachments. The post was visible and I assumed you marked the thread private and so wasn't too concerned when it disappeared from the thread. First time I've uploaded attachments where you were going to take it private.

I never marked this thread private yet. I only suggested that I may do this if you wish. Even if I did, it would still be visible in my thread and I would see your response. Regardless of that however, it seems than that there must have been some unfortunate "glitch" in a system and you post didn't come through properly. I'm sorry for this and I assure you that the situation is the most unfortunate accident and I would never ignore your post, neither would I "not be concerned about it". I apologize for what happened!

What I would like to do is restore my Snapshot on my new instance at myfitcode.fit (the original site was myfitcodeapp.fitness). I still have access via ftp to pull down the snapshots. So will a snapshot restore on the new site properly? Is this possible?

Yes. As long as you've got access to the snapshot archive zip file and are able to download it you should be able to restore that site. The content that would be restored depends on what has been backed up (media files, plugins etc) but the procedure goes like this:

1. Install Snapshot on your new site
    2. Upload snapshot .zip archive to the "/wp-content/uploads/snapshots" folder
    3. Go to "Snapshot -> Import" page
    4. Hit "Scan/Import" button without putting anything in a form above
    5. After the success confirmation message shows up
    - go to "Snapshot -> All snapshots" and you should see that snapshot there
    - click on "restore" link for it
    - scroll down the page and select archive to restore
    - again click on restore and follow on-screen instructions if there are any.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dan

Ok, sorry for the many posts. Had to resolve some permissions issues on the new site to get the old archive to upload properly.

I've now uploaded the snapshot and its appearing in the All Snapshots listing. When I select Restore this archive. I am getting the following error message:

This archive is from a previous import action. The information from the archive did not match the current blog. So before you can change the configuration you need to assign it to an existing account.

This is correct because I'm building the new version on a slightly different domain name. What I want to restore are the pages, menus, images and text content that were all created using the Spirit/Upfront theme. I have no posts or forms to worry about. Just the static pages and menus.

Can you tell me what tables and restore options I should select?

Thanks!

• Dimitris

Hey there Dan,

hope you're having a beautiful day! :slight_smile:

When I select Restore this archive. I am getting the following error message:
    This archive is from a previous import action. The information from the archive did not match the current blog. So before you can change the configuration you need to assign it to an existing account.
    This is correct because I'm building the new version on a slightly different domain name.

You are correct identifying what's the issue here, the domain name change. You can simply go ahead and edit the snapshot, click on "Change" button just below the notice message and choose your new domain (leave blank if you don't want a sub domain).

What I want to restore are the pages, menus, images and text content that were all created using the Spirit/Upfront theme. I have no posts or forms to worry about. Just the static pages and menus.

If everything you want is included in the snapshot without any redundant content, you can go ahead and restore all files (Themes,Plugins,MU-Plugins,Media) and selected database tables, as I can spot two Domain Mapping tables in there. I presume that you do not need your previous settings for DM so I'd exclude these two.

I look forward for your results on this! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.